INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about WMV metadata  (Read 1009 times)

Quad

Question about WMV metadata
« on: March 25, 2018, 05:18:54 am »

Hi everyone, i downloaded JRiver trial for the very first time yesterday, and registered on this forum  today to ask a question. I did read some of the Wiki, the FAQ, and searched the forum for answers, apologies if this has been asked before.

I’m primarily interested in the organisational abilities of JRiver, at first glance it looks very very good. Nice clean customisable interface.
I have several thousand video clips of all shapes and sizes, and ages. WMV, MP4, AVI, MKV,etc, I notice that JRiver has difficulty in reading the frame size of some of these, so most show up as 720x480 or 640x480 etc, but many are just blank. This seems to be happening mostly with WMV files. Yet, VLC can detect the frame size, as can Daum Pot Player, and Windows Explorer properties shows the frame size too, so is there a setting that ive missed. Although it seems odd that it can read some of them.

Problem #2 is that it does not appear to be able to write metadata to the files themselves, again WMV is the biggest problem. As an experiment I changed the YEAR field on a WMV file, the “library” changed of course, but it was not able to change the metadata in the file itself. After some digging I found some info about sidecar files, but I would prefer it wrote to the file directly. I currently use Media Monkey Gold, and that is able to write to the file metadata directly. A point I proved by tagging the exact file that JRiver refused. Im well aware that some filetypes have far less tagging options than others, but here im looking at tags that can be written by other programs fine. Im just curious to understand if this is a bug, or if im doing something wrong. I found the “Update tags from library” option, but it doesn’t do anything for these WMV files.

If anyone can help, thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question about WMV metadata
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:49:31 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Try playing a few of the files.  MC will download components needed.  That may solve the problem.  If not, we'd like to see a file or two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up