INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuctionality  (Read 1305 times)

larryrup

• World Citizen
Fuctionality
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:53:02 pm »

Hi: I have trouble taking concepts and understanding application, so I'd like to ask a few questions to get a better understanding if this product fit the dreams I have for my sister and brother-in-law.  I have been trying to get them to introduce a HTPC to their media room, but the expense for an "experiment" considering they are a bit challenged with tech in general has made me pause taking it forward for years now.  The Id pricing certainly make the cost of experiment less worrisome.

The need is for a media device for my sister.  She uses IPhone IPad and Android devices but is of the generation where tech is far from second nature.

My desire for them is a good music and video player, and I know  MC fits this bill.  I have found JRemote extremely easy for non tech type to use from the get go so that direction is certain. Support for external storage and wireless kb/mouse is great.

Can, as examples,  Netflix/Amazon/Spotify apps be installed from the internet or be run from a browser?  I do not have a clear understanding of the OS and/or GUI and if you can do things like use a stand alone browser, email application (like GMail) browse a news site, etc?  No need for business apps but basic browsing would be a big plus.  Can you do that kind of stuff?  and can I keep it simple  LOL.

Lastly I have read the Id defaults to a wired network connection but can use a wireless connection.  Does it have a wireless access point installed, or does the user need to provide one if wireless is desired?

I'm excited this might be the solution for them.

Thanks

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Fuctionality
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:58:55 am »

My understanding is that you cannot access the standard debian desktop (or even a terminal) from the id. Given that, there is no browser or ability to install one (or apps for that matter).

In that sense, the id is great for local media playback (especially via Panel or one of the other "remote" apps) but not great for streaming playback or external purposes.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:08:42 am »

My understanding is that you cannot access the standard debian desktop (or even a terminal) from the id. Given that, there is no browser or ability to install one (or apps for that matter).

In that sense, the id is great for local media playback (especially via Panel or one of the other "remote" apps) but not great for streaming playback or external purposes.

As I understand the state of play and based on my experience, I'd agree that it's true that a TTY / SSH session is not available with an Id. However, you can access a restricted Debian OS desktop (access to functions outside the MC software are limited). This GUI is handy for initial setup and configuration of the Id before reducing down to headless mode. The user has the option to access the desktop via a remote session.

To answer larryup's questions (again based on experience / personal understanding):
Can, as examples,  Netflix/Amazon/Spotify apps be installed from the internet or be run from a browser?
... that's a no for app installation (unless I've missed something). Via a browser - different story - it might be possible but I'll defer to others for detail. See my points relating to browsing below.

can [you] do things like use a stand alone browser, email application (like GMail) browse a news site, etc?
... sort of - MC is equipped with a browser integral to it. So, browsing and sending email from a web client can be done but the experience will probably be "clunky" for most users.

This functionality is not a primary mission objective for the software, so I would suggest that user expectation be moderated with that understanding.

Does it have a wireless access point installed, or does the user need to provide one if wireless is desired?
I've used an Id (non-Intel NUC based) accessing it via WiFi via a router based network. I don't believe it has the function of providing an access point / WiFi hotspot.

The above is what I've experienced or understand. Happy to be enlightened if I've misunderstood. The software could also have been improved and I missed the key detail in a published change log.

All the best.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »

As a postscript, it would be very useful if I could control an Id Pi from my phone with nothing else in between.

I've got a loose plan to set up a Pi to feed my head phone set up at work to avoid using my work PC with portable MC, hence the interest. The work PC has a tendency to knock out an audio noise pop every now and then. Not a show stopper but there is an incentive to set up some audio specific hardware that avoids the corporate IT police.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:19:48 pm »

... it would be very useful if I could control an Id Pi from my phone with nothing else in between.
Any of the JRiver remotes should be able to do that, unless I'm not understanding what you need.

Gizmo, JRemote, Panel ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up