INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dvd movies will not play - dvd concerts do play  (Read 1643 times)

Spurred_On

• Recent member
  • Where cowboys keep their dreams
dvd movies will not play - dvd concerts do play
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:58:04 am »

I have been using JRiver Media Center 23 for Windows since it was released and having no problem with it. However, it no longer will play any commercially released DVD movie. All MC will do is show the same few previews over and over. Pressing the DVD menu shows the option to play the movie, but clicking on that option only shows the same previews once again.

Inserting any commercially released DVD concert plays the concert enjoyably normally with all of my settings as saved, so I know MC itself can work.

All of the movie DVDs that I have tried to play have previously played normally using MC, so I know the discs are not at fault.

All of the DVDs have been previously played with MC using the same Pioneer DVD CD Blu-Ray disc player which currently plays CDs flawlessly using another audio program, so I know that the disc player is not at fault.

I have used DVDFab Passkey 9 with MC to play Blu-Ray discs, all of which played as they should. However my DVDFab Passkey 9 license has expired. Is that preventing DVDs from playing? Is there a registry key I need to change to allow MC to play movie DVDs again?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: dvd movies will not play - dvd concerts do play
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:16:36 pm »

I have used DVDFab Passkey 9 with MC to play Blu-Ray discs, all of which played as they should. However my DVDFab Passkey 9 license has expired. Is that preventing DVDs from playing?

You answer your own question :)

MC does not decode/remove copy protection from DVD or BD. In your case DVDFab used to do that. So without DVDFab ... MC cannot decode protected DVD and BD.

Your concert DVD probably does not have protection and MC can play those.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:36:48 pm »

Use the free MakeMKV program to copy your DVD/BD movies to mkv format. MakeMKV removes the copy protection in the process.

Or you can pay for DVDFab or AnyDVD HD to remove the copy protection.

https://www.makemkv.com/download/

Spurred_On

• Recent member
  • Where cowboys keep their dreams
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:40:50 pm »

Thanks World Citizen and CountryBumkin. I thought I was able to play movie DVDs with MC before I installed DVDFab. Another false memory, I guess.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:49:20 pm »

I went Makemkv way too ... 3 reasons:

1. Mkv container can have multiple sub and audio and 3D and chapters
2. MakeMkv does not modify video or audio ... just put them in mkv container
3. Not interested in BD or DVD menus or extras (if want these ... only way is iso or folder rips ... which MakeMkv can also do)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up