INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Volume Leveling permanently correct volume per song for playback on iPod?  (Read 1629 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I copied some music (various artists, albums) from MC to my iPod (for playback on my motorcycle).  I converted everything to MP3 for the iPod.

When I ripped the music originally in MC I used "Analyse Audio" and in DSP, "Volume Leveling" and "Adaptive Volume (Peak Level Normalize)", but I does not appear to be working on my iPod, the volume level seems to be all over the place. Many of the songs are too quite.

Should it work?
Or does the playback device need to have some internal software/programming to recognize the Volume Leveling?

How can I get all the mp3 songs on my iPod (which are all just copied into one large file folder) to have the same volume during playback?

RD James

You need to force a conversion with volume leveling enabled when syncing to the device.
Audio Analysis by itself only writes information to the tags, it does not alter the files.
I would not recommend enabling adaptive volume for the conversion.

CountryBumkin

Thanks for that info.
I'm going to clear the iPod completely and start over following your advise.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Oops I was beaten. Oh well, see the below anyway. Same info.  8)

The iPod would have to recognise the tags and use them, which I have no idea whether it does or not. Probably not based on what you have said. MC doesn't actually change the files when it does Audio Analysis etc., it just writes the Playback tags and then uses that information at playback time.

However, if you use the Handheld Sync or Convert Format functionality to convert your original music files to mp3s, they have a setting in their Options to apply DSP during the conversion. If you do that, the files themselves will be modified to have the correct volume. They will then play back correctly on any device.

You listen to music while riding? I find that too distracting. I keep changing my reaction pace to the pace of the music, which isn't good on tight twisty roads!  :o
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

--- if you use the Handheld Sync or Convert Format functionality to convert your original music files to mp3s, they have a setting in their Options to apply DSP during the conversion. If you do that, the files themselves will be modified to have the correct volume. They will then play back correctly on any device.

Thanks for the follow up.

You listen to music while riding? I find that too distracting. I keep changing my reaction pace to the pace of the music, which isn't good on tight twisty roads!  :o

Yes, sometimes a little music is nice on the ride to/from work. I wouldn't do it on a road that required a lot of attention (like on a twisty or new route).
Pages: [1]   Go Up