INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server-Client issue  (Read 2563 times)

zonka

• World Citizen
Server-Client issue
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:29:51 pm »

I am running MC 23 on both my main pc and my nuc near my audio system.  I have two libraries I can play from on the nuc - a local library (Main Library) or the library from my main pc (which is in server mode).  There is one big difference between them - I like my own custom images to show during playback in theater view - the images won't run when I'm playing from my server version but they run fine when I play them from my local library.
Is there an advantage in using DLNA playing (from my pc, in server mode) vs. just a folder share (which is my Main Library on my nuc)?

All the settings are identical in both versions of MC 23 and are pointing to the same music folders housed on my main pc.
Curious if I was just missing a setting somewhere in the Media Network options that was keeping the pictures from showing in the server version.  I should add - when I'm at my pc and playing in theater view on my monitor the images show up fine - I just can't get the same images to show on the nuc when playing from server.

If there's no advantage I guess I would just keep playing from my local library, "Main Library", on the nuc.  I'm just the type that needs to know why it isn't working - and if there is an advantage by using the server mode, then I would like to, if possible.

Thanks

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Server-Client issue
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:06:18 pm »

advantage of using server (aka one library) is you only need to update one library when adding/deleting media ... changes get propagated to clients

one thing to be aware ... when adding folders to server library, its recommended to use network path (eg //192.168.1.23/Media/Music) not local path (eg. F:\Media\Music)

as clients cannot use local path ... they wont be able to find your custom images (likely the cause of what you experiencing)

PS. initial run of server library on client might be slow as client try to build thumbnails ... best to force client to build all thumbnails once in a while on client machine
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:16:52 pm »

Why isn't it working? Dunno. I think it probably should, if you have MC set up as described in your earlier thread. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114439.0.html

It sounds like you already have mapped drives from the NUC to your PC. If the drive letters used in both cases are the same for each physical drive, then try turning on "Options > Media Network > Client Options > Play local file if one that matches Library Server files is found". That might make MC look into the mapped drive folder, which is essentially a local folder when configured that way, and hence MC may find your custom images and display them. May not either.

i.e.
Music drive on NUC, mapped to PC, is M:
Music drive on PC is M:
Turn on above setting and see if that works.

Optionally use UNC paths for shares on your Server (PC), and update the MC library to point to those shares instead of using mapped drive (or IP Addresses as I see tij has suggested). See Example 3 for instructions: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Home_Networking_Examples
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:16:54 pm »

This all makes sense so here's a follow up to help me decide which course to pursue. Assuming my dac supports all file types, will sound quality be the same if a file streamed or directly played from the folder share? Or will they be the same?
Thanks

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:28:55 pm »

This all makes sense so here's a follow up to help me decide which course to pursue. Assuming my dac supports all file types, will sound quality be the same if a file streamed or directly played from the folder share? Or will they be the same?
Thanks
depends on the options in Options > Media Network > Client Options

if set to not convert then there should be no difference at all
if set to convert then it would potentially be comparing 2 formats (depending on the file types involved)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 05:09:19 pm »

The only potential issue is if the Client is underpowered and can't play the original file format without stuttering or other artefacts. In that case, the Client would need the MC Server to convert the format and stream it to the Client. For example, if the Client can't play high bitrate FLAC files, but can play MP3s, then conversion to MP3 would be required and would be set under Client Options.

Otherwise, playing the original file directly should give you the best quality audio. After all, a conversion can't improve the audio quality of a file.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:56 pm »

I've tried all suggestions with no luck.  Still can't run my own artist pictures that are in the folder while streaming from server pc (but I can from the library that points to the folder shares).  On my client (the nuc) I can see all the pictures in the appropriate folders while using my server libary, I just can't get the pictures to show in theater view while playing the music.
Any other ideas?  I don't even know which end is causing the problem.  My photos show up when I play from theater view on my pc but when I stream from this pc via dlna server they won't display in theater view on my nuc (the client).
Thanks

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 04:37:14 pm »

advantage of using server (aka one library) is you only need to update one library when adding/deleting media ... changes get propagated to clients

one thing to be aware ... when adding folders to server library, its recommended to use network path (eg //192.168.1.23/Media/Music) not local path (eg. F:\Media\Music

That should be the contrary eg \\192.168.1.23\Media\Music) not local path (eg. F:/Media/Music)

I have always used server /client setup ie on the main server (which holds my main MC library for the whole house) which has for example the ip 123.23.100.100 I import the local folders into the main library BUT the path is a relative path ie. \\123.23.100.100\music.
On the client then in library manager I add the remote library ie either keycode or 123.23.100.100:52199. The behaviour in theaterview on the client is then exactly the same as on the main server....at least with movies where I also have some specific pictures.

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 09:44:46 am »

Still nothing - I've tried it all.  I must be missing a step or checkbox somewhere.  On the storage pc I am running MC and imported to 192.168.x.x - all works fine, including running the photos I have in the artist folder.  On the client (the nuc) there is nothing to import because it sees the server - there it all plays fine but it won't run the photos in theater view.  I added a library on the nuc using the remote library with the code given from my pc....and no photos.  If I look in the photos area I see the actual photos so the nuc sees them - I just can't get them to run in theater view slideshow.
Any other ideas?  This is driving me nuts:)

Again, it worked when I just had the Nuc look in the E: folder of the pc.  I would probably just stick with that to avoid the headache but, unfortunately, the Nuc doesn't remotely turn on the pc in that mode very well (I have to manually walk into the other room and shake the mouse to wake it up).  The wake on lan works great when I'm accessing the server (via the 192.168.x.x path)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 10:54:34 am »

Check permission access to network folders
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 11:01:59 am »

That would have to be on to even play the music file, wouldn't it?
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are suggesting. So you mean a setting on the nuc, somewhere?
Thank you for helping me with this:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up