INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adaptive Volume acting strange  (Read 1210 times)

Thouston

• Recent member
Adaptive Volume acting strange
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:22:13 pm »

When I play an album adaptive volume is in fixed mode and play at approx -4 db. When I play shuffled files adaptive goes in adaptive mode and sometimes much too loud. I reran analyze audio on all my files and it did not help. Is this a setting problem or a bug?

Thanks

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adaptive Volume acting strange
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 01:23:30 am »

1. What mode is it in?
2. Do you also have Volume Leveling enabled at the same time?
3. Is Volume Leveling actually what you're looking for, rather than Adaptive Volume? Adaptive Volume is all about playing tracks loud, while Volume Leveling is about keeping playback at an even level.

Thouston

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:22:44 am »

I use it with volume leveling.
When I play an whole album file, Adaptive Volume is in (fixed) mode and the volume is right.
When I play my files shuffled, Adaptive Volume goes into (adaptive mode) even though the file it is playing has been analysed.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:01:01 am »

I use it with volume leveling.
When I play an whole album file, Adaptive Volume is in (fixed) mode and the volume is right.
When I play my files shuffled, Adaptive Volume goes into (adaptive mode) even though the file it is playing has been analysed.
I've had a chance to test this now. I think it only applies to playback using Play Doctor, and this is likely because the playlist is dynamic.

Normal playback, even with a fixed playlist of random tracks:
VL = All tracks/albums play at the same loudness. For albums, the average of an album is used.
AV = All tracks play as loud as possible.
VL+AV = All tracks/albums are leveled, and the playlist is adjusted to play as loud as it can without affecting leveling.

Play Doctor:
VL = All tracks play at the same loudness. If tracks from the same album are next to each other, the average will be used for both.
AV = All tracks play as loud as possible.
VL+AV = All tracks are set to the same loudness. Adaptive Volume switches to adaptive mode rather than fixed, since the playlist is kept at a fixed size of 100 tracks, and the average level would be changing with every track change.

That said, I wonder if it may still be best to use the average of the current playlist, even if that average is changing with every track. I feel like that may keep volume more level overall.

Generally I would only recommend enabling VL on its own, so long as your amplifier can get loud enough.
You may wish to use VL on its own and add a fixed amount, such as +6dB volume via the Parametric EQ if not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up