INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 23 DSP studio output format  (Read 1462 times)

kkloh

• Recent member
MC 23 DSP studio output format
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:48:17 am »

My MC23 (64bit) in Windows 10 PC is connected to Yamaha RX-A3070 AVR via HDMI. So far, audio (2 Ch MP3 & FLAC, as well as DTS and other 6 Ch files) has been working fine.

By experiment, I set my DSP studio output format as shown in the screen cap attached. Surprisingly, the sound quality with this DSP setting improves noticeably and the volume also increases significantly. All audio output, even from 2 Ch audio files, becomes 5.1. I cannot figure why by encoding output to Dolby Digital, I can achieve better sound!

Would anyone care to enlighten me please. Many thanks.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 23 DSP studio output format
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 04:05:38 am »

The volume changes likely because your receiver handles PCM input and Bitstream input differently. Its pretty normal for bitstreaming  a compressed format to have higher volume.

For the quality, many people subconsciously attribute higher volume with "better sound". If you want to make a fair comparison, you should set equal volume and then judge it again.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kkloh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 08:21:16 am »

Many thanks Hendrik for your response.

I did compare sound quality with and without DSP at equal volume. The AC3 encoded music does sound better to my ears, but maybe it is just me.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:31 am »

It shouldn't, because AC3 is lossy compression.
Pages: [1]   Go Up