INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound recording  (Read 790 times)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Sound recording
« on: June 15, 2003, 07:58:07 am »

I am attempting to record sound using the recorder.

No matter which sound source I choose (line in, mic, CD audio, mixer), Auto recording volume reports that no sound is heard.

Without changing any settings, if I launch Roxio sound stream I can record perfectly using the Spin Docotr utility.

I have tried 2 sound cards (on board Crystal Audio and Soundblaster Extigy) with the same results - MC can't record.

Anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the fix?

Media Center Registered 9.0.180 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 798 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 383 MB, Free - 76 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: TOSHIBA  CDRW/DVD SDR2102   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sound recording
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 05:57:14 am »

In the Recorder Settings dialog, do you have more than one choice for the recording device? If so, try selecting the other one.

If that's not it, MC may not be recognizing the names of source inputs on the sound cards correctly. If you email me I can send you a test program which lists the input source names and then I can patch MC to fix the problem. Theoretically, you should be able to get the Mixer source to work, but you have to select the input manually. Here's a procedure from the "Recording Tips" section of the help menu:

If you are having trouble getting anything to record with any of the sources, choose the Mixer source, start your recording, then follow these steps:

- double click on the speaker icon in the system tray
- from the Volume Control menu, choose "options" and then "properties"
- in the "Adjust volume for.." section, choose "Recording"
- in the lower area where it says "Show the following volume controls:", check all the controls
- click OK and then select or un-mute one recording source at a time until the recorder starts working
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up