INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 10, sleep vs always on  (Read 1662 times)

1maynard

• World Citizen
Win 10, sleep vs always on
« on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:43 pm »

Have a question regarding putting my HTPC to sleep vs leaving it powered up all of the time. Back when I was running Kodi/MediaPortal the only I could get the program to restart with any reliability up was to leave the PC powered on all of the time. When I switched to MC I left it the same way. Since JRiver rarely has given me any start up or lock up issues in the four months I have used it I was thinking of changing my shutdown scheme to put the PC to sleep. Just wondering what most of you do? Any issues waking it up for timer recordings?
Thanks
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Win 10, sleep vs always on
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 06:55:30 pm »

In MC Startup settings, choose to run Media Server on Windows Startup.  If you do that, the PC will wake, record, and sleep again.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:06:42 pm »

Jim, I seen that in startup settings. I guess since I had so many issues with the previous program that I was using I was just gun shy. Seemed like every other day when I got home the wife was complaining that her show did not record or that the HTPC would not startup. I was wondering what the majority on here are doing. Tomorrow I will change my power profile and make the change MC startup settings.
Thanks
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 08:29:21 pm »

Until very recently I always let my HTPC sleep, and all recordings and other activity worked very reliably. The only issue I had was that the HTPC Server could go to sleep beneath an inactive MC Client, which required a restart of the Client to get Wake On LAN message set to the Server.

I currently have my HTPC always on, but that is not because of a MC issue. It is because my router won't allow WOL messages sent from the internet to wake my HTPC, when I want to connect to it from outside my network. That is completely a router issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:28:57 am »

My MC Server stays on 24/7.  But then again, I have it do a lot of processes over night (archiving watched TV, backups, etc).  I also don't have to wait for everything to 'spin up' to watch TV.  I suppose, if I was audio only, I might look into sleeping.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:05:44 pm »

My MTPC sleeps except to wake up to record. It works great, and saves me about $20 per month in electricity compared to having it on all the time. I hate unnecessary "wallet leaks" and do what I can to prevent them.

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:09:28 am »

If I am running from JRemote and I send a request for a track are you saying this will wake my server up from Sleep

I have currently set mine as always on so that I can run on demand. It would make more sense to let it sleep after say 15 min inactivity

Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:04:29 am »

If I am running from JRemote and I send a request for a track are you saying this will wake my server up from Sleep
Yes.  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan
Pages: [1]   Go Up