INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Feature Request) switch for holding the ASIO driver  (Read 1101 times)

Otello

• World Citizen
(Feature Request) switch for holding the ASIO driver
« on: April 11, 2018, 11:00:55 am »

JRiver - as most consumer media players for windows - holds the ASIO driver only when in Play or Pause and release it when in Stop.
Professional wave editors (Wavelab, Pyramix, etc.) have a different behaviour, holding the ASIO driver anyway.
Now, I'd need to use JR with a Merging DAC using the Ravenna/AES67 network interface and I have some minor issues because Merging software seams to assume the media player behave like a professional editor - i.e.: holds the driver anyway.
I don't know if my request is easy to make, I also imagine this behavior will brake the wasapi driver, but it'd work for a dedicated headless media player.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: (Feature Request) switch for holding the ASIO driver
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:28:13 am »

The entire playback engine is torn down on stop, not sure this would be easily possible in MCs design currently.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:08:09 pm »

Hi,

I‘m not sure if I have the same problem: I‘m using a DANTE Network solution with Audinate‘s Dante Virtual Soundcard as Asio driver.
Every time I start playing, I have a crickeling noise for a about 0,5 sec. The latency and driver say everything is ok, but it is kind of annoying.

If MC releases Asio every time, this might be the cause...

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:27:39 pm »

I'm not sure if I have the same problem: I'm using a DANTE Network solution with Audinate‘s Dante Virtual Soundcard as Asio driver.
Every time I start playing, I have a crickeling noise for a about 0,5 sec. The latency and driver say everything is ok, but it is kind of annoying.

Hi Thorsten,

exactly. I get a noise similar to switching relays; this happen also at track change with different sample rate.
You may have another issues if you use more than 1 source connected to the DAC, as the DAC remember the last source selected, but to see a Windows PC (and select it) you need a program holding the ASIO driver. So you must start playing JR first, then select the DAC input. Sometimes I launch Wavelab just to get the DAC attention and select the input :-)

If MC releases Asio every time, this might be the cause...

I'm not familiar with the Dante protocol, but speaking about Ravenna/AES67, I'd say yes and not: the issue is not directly caused by JR releasing the driver, but is only a consequence, as when JR release the driver, the DAC lose the connection with ASIO and must renegotiate anytime you start Play.
Just to point it clear: the problem is not JRiver fault, but ASIO.: JR behave the same way with Linux or OSx, but lose the connection only with Windows/ASIO.
Fact is, the network protocol see Linux and OSx computers (running the AES67 driver) regardless of programs holding the driver.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:46:40 am »

The entire playback engine is torn down on stop, not sure this would be easily possible in MCs design currently.

Hendrik, I'm wondering if there's a way to hold the ASIO driver without tweaking the Start-Stop mechanism...

For instance, JRiver does hold the ASIO driver if you activate the Live Input.
Please note the paradox: thanks to JR Live Input through the Wasapi driver, you may solve these small issues with network DACs for all the media players for Windows - Foobar, etc. - all but JRiver itself! :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up