INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature request] Option to use a linear internal volume scale  (Read 1067 times)

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck

Using very sensitive speakers (99db) I'd really love to change the internal volume logarithmic scale to linear, say 1db per %.
I find myself having volume under 10% most of the time.
Would be nice to have an option to switch to linear scale.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: [Feature request] Option to use a linear internal volume scale
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:03 pm »

For what it's worth, it is linear down to 20% volume, dropping 0.5dB for every percent.
If it is possible I would also like to see this extended much lower than -40dB. It could be an "extended range" mode which only reports volume in dBFS rather than percentage.

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:34:40 pm »

Yes it is, but I rarely listen that loud (happens, but not that often).
1% per db would make sense to keep the 0-100% scale, but of course an extended version with .5% per .5db would work too :)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:40 pm »

Yes it is, but I rarely listen that loud (happens, but not that often).
But many people do.

One thing you can do just now is add a volume reduction via the Parametric EQ DSP so that you're still working in the top 80% where the controls are linear.
If you add a -40dB volume adjustment, you have a range of -40dBFS to -80dBFS in 0.5dB steps from 100% to 20% volume.

1% per db would make sense to keep the 0-100% scale, but of course an extended version with .5% per .5db would work too :)
I don't think it would be a good idea to sacrifice precision just to retain the 0-100% numbering. Drop it and only list dBFS.
Benchmark Media just announced a new HPA4 headphone amplifier which uses relays for precise analog gain control, offering 256 steps in 0.5 dB increments. It would be great if Media Center could match it (though MC is obviously using digital control rather than analog).
Pages: [1]   Go Up