INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade and keeping settings, play lists etc.  (Read 2109 times)

smittyj01

• Recent member
Upgrade and keeping settings, play lists etc.
« on: April 16, 2018, 05:17:40 pm »

Hello,

I am wondering if there is an easy way to keep all my settings for MC23 when I install MC24?  I went to /Users/js/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 23 and copied the Library folder to /Users/js/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 24.  I started up MC24 and so far, everything seems intact.

Did I break something by doing this or is it perfectly acceptable way to do the upgrade?

Comments?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrade and keeping settings, play lists etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:29 pm »

Don't do anything manually.  MC will find and copy your library and settings.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:25 am »

But not automatically! I had to save my MC 23 library and to import it to MC 24.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »

Hello,

I am wondering if there is an easy way to keep all my settings for MC23 when I install MC24?  I went to /Users/js/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 23 and copied the Library folder to /Users/js/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 24.  I started up MC24 and so far, everything seems intact.

Did I break something by doing this or is it perfectly acceptable way to do the upgrade?

Comments?
That will work.
Also you can restore a MC23 backup however thumbnails will be rebuilt in that case.

smittyj01

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:08:31 pm »

Automatic was not a good option.  It didn't find my previous install at all.  It imported 10s of thousands of photos I didn't want imported, didn't find my music on other drives.  The backup and restore method did seem to work nicely.

Is a new version suppose to check for previous versions on first run and prompt you to import from old or start fresh?

J

KBoz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »

Agreed.  Automatic processing didn't find my previous libraries and import them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up