INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidecar options  (Read 1104 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Sidecar options
« on: April 17, 2018, 04:49:54 am »

Despite having some issues with SACD tracks at the moment, I really like that Media Center can now write sidecars for any file type.
However, it doesn't seem to allow the configuration that I'd like to use:

1. Always write tags for Audio files.
2. Always write sidecars for Video files.
3. Write sidecars for files that Media Center cannot tag; e.g. SACD, MKA, DTS.

I don't want Media Center to ever tag a video file, because that alters the file hash.
Audio files don't matter because there are tools like dBpoweramp which can create an "Audio CRC" to compare tracks, rather than having to use a file hash for comparison.

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: Sidecar options
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:47:29 am »

If bitrot is a concern ... why not use ZFS file system that actually prevent this from happening
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:58:35 am »

I don't want Media Center to ever tag a video file, because that alters the file hash.

Thats ok, it doesn't have the ability for any video format anyway, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RD James

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:11:05 am »

Thats ok, it doesn't have the ability for any video format anyway, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
OK, I've figured out what was causing my confusion.
It looks like Media Center considers sidecars and tags to be equivalent.
So if the options to write tags are disabled, it won't write sidecars either.

Maybe 6 months or so ago I made some changes to my setup that disabled tag writing by default as it was slowing things down too much when working with lots of files, and I would run "update tags from library" once I had finished making all changes to write them.

I'd have to check the exact conditions but it looks like having the "write file tags…" option disabled in auto-import is preventing sidecars being created, but the "get movie & TV info" option does write sidecars for those files.

So when I returned to this six months later after upgrading to MC24, checking the disk and seeing that most of my downloaded video library (mostly MP4 from YouTube, Vimeo, Podcasts etc.) was missing sidecars but all of my movie and TV libraries (MKV) did have sidecars, I mistakenly thought that Media Center must have been writing tags to the MP4s and only creating sidecars for the MKVs.

Is there a performance difference between writing sidecars and modifying tags?
Do tag changes require that a file is rewritten vs sidecars which are only a few KB?
If there is a performance difference, it might be preferable to separate the two.

If bitrot is a concern ... why not use ZFS file system that actually prevent this from happening
To start with, a 10Gb network is still too expensive for me to consider moving storage to a networked device.
1Gb is much slower than direct access to the disks. Even 10Gb is slower if I'm accessing many disks at once for tasks other than media playback. I've seen Task Manager's total reported disk activity above 5GB/s (40Gb) during some operations.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:56:55 am »

Is there a performance difference between writing sidecars and modifying tags?

Yes in some cases.  An example would be WAV.  Writing tags may involve rewriting the entire WAV file if the original tag data are in the beginning of the file.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

F Ribeiro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • If it isn't broken don't fix it.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 02:44:20 pm »

Despite having some issues with SACD tracks at the moment, I really like that Media Center can now write sidecars for any file type.
However, it doesn't seem to allow the configuration that I'd like to use:

1. Always write tags for Audio files.
2. Always write sidecars for Video files.
3. Write sidecars for files that Media Center cannot tag; e.g. SACD, MKA, DTS.

Audio files don't matter because there are tools like dBpoweramp which can create an "Audio CRC" to compare tracks, rather than having to use a file hash for comparison.

Can you help me, please, because I can’t get sidecars for SACD.ISO files..

Thanks
JRiver Media Center 25 PC and MAC | PC: Dell Latitude E5250 - Windows 10 Pro | MAC: Mac Mini late 2014 - Mojave | Amp: Classe CAP-2100 | CD Player: Meridian G08.2 | DAC: Naim DAC V1 | Turntable: Linn Axis, Akito tonearm, Adikt MM | Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28 | Cables: Transparent, Nordost | Server: Synology DS216 Play Raid 1 |
Pages: [1]   Go Up