INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upload conversion problems  (Read 1631 times)

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smile!!!  It's contagious!
Upload conversion problems
« on: June 12, 2003, 09:17:34 am »

Using MC9.1.197

I selected several APE files to upload to my Archos Jukebox.  Force file conversion during uploads is checked and set to MP3 Encoder VBR, Quality Custom (--alt-preset fast standard).  I go to the CD, DVD, & Handhelds section.  Set rearrange upload folders to artist/album.  I click the Upload Files button and my files are converted and uploaded.  My problem is that the files on the Archos do not have any tag information that the original files had.  Am I missing something (be kind) or is this a bug?

Brian Palmer

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Upload conversion problems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 09:57:40 am »

Brian,

Do the files have incorrect information or no information on the Archos? If no information, what happens if you move a file to Archos with another program or from Windows?

Steve (JRiver)

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 10:07:08 am »

SteveG,
They have no information.  If I convert the files first (using convert format), then copy them over to the Archos, they seem to have their ID3 info.  There seems to be a problem right now with convert format where after the file conversion MC tries to over write the file that was being converted.

Brian Palmer

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 10:11:51 am »

SteveG,
Also check out Kiwi's issue about APE to MP2 conversion.  I think he might mean MP3.  Anyway, I'm seeing the same issues he is and far as MC trying to overwrite the original file.

Brian Palmer

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 05:34:56 am »

Brian,

I don't have an Archos to test this on, but I am having a hard time understanding the problem.  If you copy a file that you know has tag information onto your Archos from Explorer without using MC at all, does the tag information show up on Archos?

Steve

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 07:53:06 am »

Sorry SteveG,
I'll try to make it a bit more clear.  
1.  If I use Convert Format on some APE files and have the files output to my Archos or to another location and then manually copy them to my Archos, they have ID3 tag info.  However, there seems to be a problem with Convert Format where MC tries to overwrite the original file with the converted file.

2.  I tried sending some APE files to my Archos using the CD, DVD, Handhelds method.  I right-click an APE file and select CD, DVD, Handhelds and send the file(s) to my Archos.  Then I open the CD, DVD, & Handhelds tree and select the icon of my Archos (also has drive letter H next to it).  I show a list of all the files in the que waiting to be uploaded to my Archos.  I select the options button in the lower right corner of MC in the upload files area.  In the options I specify that I want to force file conversion during uploads.  I'm converting from APE to MP3 VBR.  After MC has uploaded the files to my Archos player, neither MC nor Archos can see any ID3 tag info in those files that were uploaded.

Hope this makes sense.  Let me know.

Looks like you already put a reply on Kiwi's post that I was refering to.

Kiwi's post -
2nd, when I don't select the "update database" option, it attempts to over write my original file with the new one... with its name converted.  So, Foo.ape is converted to foo.mp3, and then for some reason MC tries to copy Foo.mp3 back to Foo.ape.  

Brian Palmer

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 10:16:05 am »

Brian,

However, there seems to be a problem with Convert Format where MC tries to overwrite the original file with the converted file.

Are you saying that when you do the convert MC tries to overwrite the original file on the PC?

After MC has uploaded the files to my Archos player, neither MC nor Archos can see any ID3 tag info in those files

MC will not display the tag information but when playing the files on the Archos you should be able to see the information. If not, try copying a file directly to the Archos without using MC and see if the tag information is visible on the Archos.

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 11:51:26 am »

SteveG,

To answer your first question:
Yes, Convert format seems to try to overwrite the original file on the PC with the converted file.

MC will not display the tag information but when playing the files on the Archos you should be able to see the information. If not, try copying a file directly to the Archos without using MC and see if the tag information is visible on the Archos.

If a file does not have tag info, my Archos indicates this by saying something like "No ID3" on its display while playing the file.  This problem only seems to occur when I use the Upload function with the force file conversion during uploads.  This does not happen if I manually convert a file and copy it using Windows or MC or using the Upload function without force file conversion during uploads.

Brian Palmer

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 12:40:21 pm »

Brian,

In regards to the tag information, you were right, that information was not getting written to the file. It is fixed, but did not make it into today's build. Look for it in the next build.

In regards to the overwriting the file issue, I cannot duplicate this. What makes you think this is occuring. For my test I converted a file from 128 kbps to 96 and then went back to MC and played the original 128kbps file with no problem. I am running 9.1.198 so you may wan to get today's version and retest. I did make some changes recently to this and they may not be in your version.

Thanks,

Steve

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 01:14:30 pm »

Thanks for the info SteveG.  I will look into the overwriting file issue.  Perhaps something got screwed up on my machine.  I uninstalled 9.1.198 and then installed 9.0.180 and did not have that problem anymore.  I will uninstall 9.0.180 and then install the latest build of 9.1 and see what happens.  Thanks again.

Brian Palmer
Pages: [1]   Go Up