INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA issues  (Read 2364 times)

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA issues
« on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:15 pm »

I'm having two problems streaming over DLNA to my Oppo 105:

Artwork does not display on the screen for ALAC files, only FLAC files. It displays in the JRiver Media Center app, but not on the TV on Oppo's display screen. I don't believe I've had this problem before (though I could be wrong).

Also, DSD is not streaming over DLNA for some reason. My DSD files play fine directly from the main player straight out of the computer to my DAC, but not streamed over DLNA to the Oppo 105.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA issues
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:23:13 pm »

I'm having two problems streaming over DLNA to my Oppo 105:

Artwork does not display on the screen for ALAC files, only FLAC files. It displays in the JRiver Media Center app, but not on the TV on Oppo's display screen. I don't believe I've had this problem before (though I could be wrong).

Also, DSD is not streaming over DLNA for some reason. My DSD files play fine directly from the main player straight out of the computer to my DAC, but not streamed over DLNA to the Oppo 105.
Check your DLNA server settings. If the Oppo supports DSD direct you might just be able to say "Original Format" for Audio.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 12:40:16 pm »

Check your DLNA server settings. If the Oppo supports DSD direct you might just be able to say "Original Format" for Audio.

What settings should I be looking at? The Oppo is set to output DSD, but JRiver will not push DSD files to the Oppo over the DLNA network. Thanks in advance!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 12:46:11 pm »

What settings should I be looking at? The Oppo is set to output DSD, but JRiver will not push DSD files to the Oppo over the DLNA network. Thanks in advance!
In Media Center
Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or configure DLNA servers

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 01:01:35 pm »

Thanks, Bob, but still no luck. I tried checking "Bitstream DSD", but it still won't play. I read something from a few years ago that said "Adding the x- form mime types to FileAssociations.xml seems to fix the problem" but I don't know how to do that. It was in this thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86430.0

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 01:03:37 pm »

Also, it seems this user had the same success:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111822.msg778380.html#msg778380

Can someone please walk me through how to change the file associations?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 02:25:20 pm »

Also, it seems this user had the same success:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111822.msg778380.html#msg778380

Can someone please walk me through how to change the file associations?
Bitstream DSD shouldn't be used in this case, that's for DoPE only.

You can get at the file associations by opening a finder window, go to the applications folder then
Ctrl-Click->show package contents
Navigate to Contents->Resources->Data->Default Resources
Ctrl-Click on FileAssociations
Choose Open With->textedit to work on it
Search for x-dsf (there is only one)
change the f to a d so you have x-dsd
Exit textedit
Restart MC

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 02:29:36 pm »

Thanks Bob. Just tried that and I got an error message: "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device..."

Could it be that the Oppo 105 is just not capable of DSD over DLNA?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 02:49:20 pm »

Thanks Bob. Just tried that and I got an error message: "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device..."

Could it be that the Oppo 105 is just not capable of DSD over DLNA?
That is quite possible. Many of these devices can play the same files attached on USB keys but not over the network.
You probably want to choose the option "Specified output format only when necessary" and under advanced "audio formats to convert" then tune it to your particular device. You could start by converting the dff and dsf filetypes. (you will probably need to change the entry in FIleAssociations back).
For the selected audio format you could try PCM 24 bit. If that doesn't work, try PCM 16 bit, if that doesn't work, PCM L16 no header.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »

Thanks so much, Bob. I'd rather not tamper, as I'm only interested in playing DSD natively. Most of my library is ALAC format, but if I ever wanted to branch out into DSD, I would want to play it "properly". I may upgrade to a 205 if I can get my hands on one. Perhaps that will work with DSD over DLNA. I really appreciate your help with this.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 03:11:17 pm »

Thanks so much, Bob. I'd rather not tamper, as I'm only interested in playing DSD natively. Most of my library is ALAC format, but if I ever wanted to branch out into DSD, I would want to play it "properly". I may upgrade to a 205 if I can get my hands on one. Perhaps that will work with DSD over DLNA. I really appreciate your help with this.
It doesn't change the file itself, it creates a temporary file from the dsd file and streams that so there is no harm in trying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up