INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does MC for Linux not support trackinfo templates  (Read 1206 times)

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
Why does MC for Linux not support trackinfo templates
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:14:01 am »

Why does MC for Linux not support trackinfo templates?

Just showing the cover is poor.

Theater View is not always the method of choice. Especially with multiple virtual screens, all screens are blocked by the theater View.

Are there technical reasons or is it just not "hip" anymore?
Debian Testing x64 (multiarch) Xfce
TEAC UD-H01 - Yamaha A-S1000 /
Midrange- Studiomonitore by FÖÖN
AsRock Z390 Extreme4- Intel Core i9 9900/ 32 GB Ram

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why does MC for Linux not support trackinfo templates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:45:11 am »

The Track Info page is a website, and MC for Linux still cannot show websites, unfortunately.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:39:40 am »

OK. understand and regret.
There is no simple solution to the web page solution?
It does not seem that MC-Linux can ever render web pages.

In fact, I'm a bit frustrated. I use MC since V. 8
Porting to Linux was a great job from the MC team. And so I had the
Possibility to say goodbye to Windows.
But for some time I see in the development of MC no added value for me.
All the streaming and network stuff is not important for all users.
I only bought the last versions to support the development. Let's see when it's over.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:51:41 am »

Why does MC for Linux not support trackinfo templates?

Just showing the cover is poor.

Theater View is not always the method of choice. Especially with multiple virtual screens, all screens are blocked by the theater View.

Are there technical reasons or is it just not "hip" anymore?

I, too, have requested (since my Media Center Windows days) what I term a movable and modifiable "nowplaying" desktop widget for MC. I also provided a working example in the Linux music player "gmusicbrower." A similar thing can also be accomplished using "Conky" with several other Linux music players: QuodLibet, Guayadeque, Audacious, MPD and one or two others (albeit without gmusicbrowser's killer active transport buttons).

Edit 04/24/18: Added a screenshot of combination of "Audacious" player output via a Conky script, plus Audacious' built-in dockable/undockable "album art" and "spectrum analyzer" (the analyzer is semi-worthless without db range and frequencies added). All of this appears in the lower left corner of all my desktops as needed. It's also controlled by my keyboard's media keys regardless of the desktop I am on. This is more or less what I wish for in MC24.

I agree that merely having a detachable Theater View album cover picture is totally insufficient.

Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:55:26 pm »

Kodi (XMBC) also comes with a full screen view as default. But it is - in contrast to MC - only a desktop for it. So I can switch to other desktops despite full screen.  Why can not MC do that?
There was a discussion about the MPRIS interface  to show what MC is playing via the notification function. There were approaches but was never integrated into MC.

I live today with the script given in this thread
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,99309.msg687489.html#msg687489

Also this project (MPRIS) was not realized
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,104357.msg725375.html#msg725375

Again to the templates:
I often sit in front of my big monitor listening to MC music and can only enjoy the nice graphic design when I switch to the theater view. But then the pc is for nothing else to use. So I'm forced to look at the meager cover or immediately switch to list view.

Somehow, MC in Linux leads a life of its own, without further integration into the system.
That's really a pity.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »

Kodi (XMBC) also comes with a full screen view as default. But it is - in contrast to MC - only a desktop for it. So I can switch to other desktops despite full screen.  Why can not MC do that?
There was a discussion about the MPRIS interface  to show what MC is playing via the notification function. There were approaches but was never integrated into MC.

I live today with the script given in this thread
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,99309.msg687489.html#msg687489

Also this project (MPRIS) was not realized
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,104357.msg725375.html#msg725375

Again to the templates:
I often sit in front of my big monitor listening to MC music and can only enjoy the nice graphic design when I switch to the theater view. But then the pc is for nothing else to use. So I'm forced to look at the meager cover or immediately switch to list view.

Somehow, MC in Linux leads a life of its own, without further integration into the system.
That's really a pity.
The level that MC linux is built at is lower than that required to easily integrate dbus. That doesn't mean it won't ever be done but since there is a workaround it's not as high of a priority as other tasks.

I see the window issue you are talking about with theater view. The theater view display wouldn't work with some desktops without setting certain flags that seem to disable the virtual desktop switching. I will look at trying to fix this one.

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 03:32:12 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Bob.

You have developed a lot of features regarding server, network and streaming.

But please do not forget that there are also users without their own house or a huge apartment. They want to use MC simply because of the unique database and the possibilities of displaying the database.

Main stream - I know you have to run after that too. A normal network transfer is now called "streaming". All people want to "stream" and usually pay a lot of money to their Internet- Provider.

And the whole world forgets that there is also music and TV comes over the air, called SAT and DVB-T DVB -T2 and analog TV.

To the delight of those who want to monitor us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up