INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] PlayPower / Engen Not Honouring Conditional Power Step  (Read 2756 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Seeking feedback of whether I need to do something more / less or whether it's some shortcoming with the PlayPower or Engen.

Refer the attached pics for the algorithm I've configured (1st pic) and the Engen display (2nd pic). I'm using an IdPi for the Z-wave hub that's feeding an Aeotec Z-stick to drive a pair of Aeotec Smart Switch 6's.

For context, the Schiit Freya is a tube pre-amp so it has an onboard delay before it opens up the taps and pumps power into the pre. However, if the HiFi gear is already on and powered up, I don't want to slow down playback. So, the conditional power check step is intended to get playback happening so that there's sound to the speakers with minimum delay for the two alternative start states. This is because I don't want to miss half of the first song in a waiting for the pre and the amp to get pumping their signal through to the speakers.

So, the conditional wait then proceed makes perfect sense to put to use here.

However, what I'm observing is that when the power as displayed on Engen is still at 0W the conditional wait step is stepped through and not honoured. Playback then starts after the time delay and playback starts while the pre is still going through its onboard delay step. I've tested this using a Windows MC24 implementation and an IdPi MC24 implementation.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Can I run a log to gain intel for this? Is it the standard MC log is there something special for Engen?

Just in case, I've attached the log from the Windows machine.

Thanks for any help. Cheers.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PlayPower / Engen Not Honouring Conditional Power Step
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 06:24:13 am »

Did you try putting a couple of small delays between power up and the test for power?  Because it might take some time for the power level to be read.  Try 3 seconds, then reduce it if it works.

Try testing for > than [a smaller value than 30] instead of greater than or equal.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:43:27 am »

Thanks Jim.

I'll give those ideas a crack and see how things pan out.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:31:16 am »

Jim, thanks for the tips.

Try testing for > than [a smaller value than 30] instead of greater than or equal.

In words, are you suggesting "greater than" or "less than"?
PlayPower only gives me the option of "less than" or "greater than or equal to".

And, if you're suggesting "less than", then that logic won't work.

However, I think I've worked it out.

Take a look at the screen shots of the "Engen Step" for MC24 Windows (1st) and IdPi-MC24.0.16 (2nd). Notice that the step timeout condition ", waiting up to xx seconds", is partially truncated for the IdPi and completely chopped off for Windows?

I entered a value of 60 blindly in the IdPi dialogue box and lo and behold, the conditional step is honoured as expected. In the case of Windows, I can't access the time out window - so I'm guessing the default value is 0 rather than a default of <big number>. MC won't let me resize the dialogue box for both implementations, so that's a point for you to look at that would have helped avoid my dilemma.

My MC Windows setup uses a font size of 12 Segoe UI because we're using an HTPC where the screen's at a distance, not a desktop where there's a small screen that's relatively close. From what I can observe this is the reason for the timeout setting being chopped off. Dropping the font size to 10 in MC Windows then shows up the time out delay option enough at the right of the dialogue box, so that my suspicions are confirmed and I can in that case enter a value.

Please review and see what you can do to modify the GUI to deal with people like me who need over sized font.

Cheers and thanks.

EDIT:
I've found that current is a better parameter to work with for the gear that I've got. On a hot restart, I'm observing that Engen is sensing some power through each switch during the delay period ... whatever works.

With this basic point of detail nailed, I'd like to think I've got my needs catered for in the short term.

JohnT

Re: [SOLVED] PlayPower / Engen Not Honouring Conditional Power Step
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:41:24 pm »

Please try the next build, it should be fixed.  The dialog will be wider but also resizable so you can stretch it as needed.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:12:08 pm »

Please try the next build, it should be fixed.  The dialog will be wider but also resizable so you can stretch it as needed.
I already have. MC24 Windows Build 18 presents much better.

Thanks for the quick turn around.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:20 am »

Astromo, just reading this now. That's a great solution for the tube amp. Has it been working well in this configuration?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 11:06:49 am »

Yeah, sure.

Functions as intended. I extended the algorithm to start with a check for an operating current as it's first step and skip all the messing about if it detects a current above a nominated threefold.
Pages: [1]   Go Up