INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play doctor question  (Read 1116 times)

nataru

• Recent member
Play doctor question
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:51:43 am »

I have a question about this article in the wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Play_Doctor

"If you want to reduce the workload even further, you could close MC, then browse to the Media Center program folder. In there, you'll find another folder called "Data", go in there, and create a new folder called called "Custom Resources". Extract the file from the attached zip into this new folder, launch MC, press ctrl+alt+r on your keyboard and Play Doctor will kick off. The keyboard shortcut is global, so MC doesn't even need to be in focus for it to work. If ctrl+alt+r is already taken by another application on your PC, just close MC, open the xml file you extracted earlier in a txt editor, change the r to a different letter and save it."

I followed these steps and when I press ctrl+alt+r, JRiver crashes.

Is this still supported?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play doctor question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:32:11 am »

Afternoon nataru...

Almost seven years after writing the original post, I can confirm, by hitting ctrl+alt+r whilst typing this reply, that it is still working perfectly for me here with MC24.

I've been trying to think why it might be crashing for you, and I'm not coming up with much unfortunately...

With MC open, press win+r to open the windows "Run" dialogue, and enter the following in there...
mc24.exe /MCC 10047
Press "Enter"... Does Play Doctor kick off or does MC crash?
The ctrl+alt+r shortcut is basically sending the same instruction to MC.

Have you confirmed that nothing else is using the ctrl+alt+r shortcut?
Someone, sometime ago, posted a link to an app that listed all assigned keyboard shortcuts and the programs they were assigned to. I tried it at the time but found the results way too complex to decipher. Try closing MC, and the MC server if you use that, and press ctrl+alt+r... does anything happen?

With MC open, and nothing playing, go to "Playing Now". Can you start Play Doctor manually?

Beyond that, unless you have any more detailed info about what might be happening at your end, I'm out of ideas.

-marko

nataru

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:06:17 am »

Afternoon nataru...

Almost seven years after writing the original post, I can confirm, by hitting ctrl+alt+r whilst typing this reply, that it is still working perfectly for me here with MC24.

I've been trying to think why it might be crashing for you, and I'm not coming up with much unfortunately...

With MC open, press win+r to open the windows "Run" dialogue, and enter the following in there...
mc24.exe /MCC 10047
Press "Enter"... Does Play Doctor kick off or does MC crash?
The ctrl+alt+r shortcut is basically sending the same instruction to MC.

Have you confirmed that nothing else is using the ctrl+alt+r shortcut?
Someone, sometime ago, posted a link to an app that listed all assigned keyboard shortcuts and the programs they were assigned to. I tried it at the time but found the results way too complex to decipher. Try closing MC, and the MC server if you use that, and press ctrl+alt+r... does anything happen?

With MC open, and nothing playing, go to "Playing Now". Can you start Play Doctor manually?

Beyond that, unless you have any more detailed info about what might be happening at your end, I'm out of ideas.

-marko

Thanks for the reply.

After some fiddling I managed to make it work. I disabled "Param" in the text file and it's now working. What's up with that? :o. I don't know even know what Param is for..

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:18:33 am »

Good spot!

I even compared the offered download with what was in my current file, and missed the difference of the removed param="1" entry. Deary me.

The "param" is, I think, meant to be the 'seed' details, but is not required. Matt says this shouldn't work, but thankfully hasn't 'fixed' that, as it does indeed work, and after just two or three 'skips', Play Doctor sorts itself out with some pretty relevant choices and all is good from there on.

I've updated the file attached to the other post in case anyone wants it in the future.

-marko.

Patu

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:31:19 am »

I'll use the same thread for my questions.

Is it possible to make play doctor kick off automatically after I've reached the end of Playing Now list? Roon works this way with their Radio and I loved the feature. It's common for me to just play some album from start to finish and it's nice that player keeps on playing similar tracks after that.

Also how does Play Doctor form the playlists? Does it mostly use the genre tags on files or more smarter ways like online metadata from certain sources?

Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 04:06:40 am »

Is it possible to make play doctor kick off automatically after I've reached the end of Playing Now list? Roon works this way with their Radio and I loved the feature. It's common for me to just play some album from start to finish and it's nice that player keeps on playing similar tracks after that.
It's not possible, no, but what a great idea. If the development team pick this up, and agree, and it's not too time consuming to implement, it could possibly be a new feature for MC24... I would certainly use it if it became a thing :)

Also how does Play Doctor form the playlists? Does it mostly use the genre tags on files or more smarter ways like online metadata from certain sources?
It's a trade secret :D
It doesn't use online resources, that much I do know.
I believe that Play Doctor uses genre, rating and BPM values most heavily... as for the rest? Well, that's just 'magic'. Play Doctor is one of my go to MC features, it's brilliant at what it does.
-marko

Patu

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 08:16:08 am »

It's not possible, no, but what a great idea. If the development team pick this up, and agree, and it's not too time consuming to implement, it could possibly be a new feature for MC24... I would certainly use it if it became a thing :)

I definitely hope this feature will be added in future release. I'd imagine it shouldn't be much of work but what do I know.

nataru

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 02:16:11 pm »

Is it possible to use Play Doctor with Gizmo?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »

Is it possible to use Play Doctor with Gizmo?
Press and hold to get Play Doctor.

nataru

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 02:36:01 pm »

Press and hold to get Play Doctor.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up