INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video backgrounds not working in Theater View  (Read 1654 times)

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hi
Video backgrounds not working in Theater View
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:08:25 am »

I've been using video backgrounds for a very long time in Theater View and I just installed 24 on two computers and they are no longer working on either computer.

Here is a link to a sample video, if it helps.  http://moesrealm.com/mc/videobg.wmv

Hope this one gets fixed, I love my video backgrounds :)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
Re: Video backgrounds not working in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 06:32:54 pm »

Did you accomplish this by creating a custom theme (zip)?

What I found is - If you restore library from previous version of MC to MC24, your custom theme will appear to be in MC settings, but in reality it is NOT... You have to re-assign it / point MC to the zip file again, in order for it to take affect on the new install of MC.

JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:02:33 am »

Yes, I copied all the necessary files from my MC23 directory to my MC24 directory.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:17:05 am »

Don't think copying the files is good enough. Did you go into Theater view OPTIONS>Theme> then Install Theme from zip file?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:24:03 am »

Video Backgrounds are not supported in OpenGL Theater View yet, mostly because in all the time we've been testing it and running on Linux/Mac, not one person asked about it. :)
But its on the list to get working again.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 03:52:41 pm »

Don't think copying the files is good enough. Did you go into Theater view OPTIONS>Theme> then Install Theme from zip file?

Just a FYI, copying the files into a new directory in the correct location is enough. MC detects the directory and offers it as a Theme available for selection. I have never installed a theme using a zip file. Just created a directory and copied in the image files I wanted to display. I haven't tried a video background, but that may be cool...

So I added a Theme using the video Moe provided. It didn't work even using Direct3D in MC24.  :(
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:52:47 pm »

Just a FYI, copying the files into a new directory in the correct location is enough. MC detects the directory and offers it as a Theme available for selection. I have never installed a theme using a zip file. Just created a directory and copied in the image files I wanted to display.

What's the directory location?
If you did it for MC23, is the MC24 installer smart enough to copy it over?

Because doing the "install from zip" method, did NOT carry over from MC23 to MC24. I had to re-install from zip on all 6 of my PC's before my custom theme would work.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 06:34:30 pm »

The directory location is "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 24\Skins\Theater View\Themes", which is not ideal as it is under the "Program Files" directory. It can't be changed. It can be easily found and opened using the "Options > Theatre View > Theme > Browse themes folder..." function.

The upgrade process now copies the Cover Art directory as of MC24.0.5, but doesn't copy Themes across. That was requested if I remember correctly. Ideally, Themes should have their own setting in Options > File Location just like Cover Art, and then that could be set so that is was universal and shared between versions, which is what I have done with Cover Art for a number of versions. Or at least the Themes directory should be copied across during an upgrade.

I supposed that would make using a zip file easier, saving from one version and loading it in another. As long as it handled the Administrative privileges requirements correctly, particularly with a Windows system logged on to a non-Administrator account. I assume that it does.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 08:46:48 am »

Video Backgrounds are not supported in OpenGL Theater View yet, mostly because in all the time we've been testing it and running on Linux/Mac, not one person asked about it. :)

Thanks for confirmation, I sure hope you all are able to get them working again.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 01:19:08 pm »

It's been 6 months now and this still isn't fixed.  Is there a fix coming?  I really, really miss my video backgrounds.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »

didn't know you could do this...pretty cool. 

As per the comment above, I couldn't get it to work either, but once I changed the background to 'Arctic White', instead of skin image, and set the image/video blend to strong, it worked fine.  Pretty cool!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 08:15:04 pm »

Are you running MC24.0.60?

As of MC24.0.59 MC is running a new graphics abstraction layer called ANGLE, which will switch between Direct3D and OpenGL as required. On a Windows PC Direct3D should be used automatically.

24.0.59 (10/24/2018)
3. Changed: Theater View uses ANGLE for rendering, with the Direct3D 11 or Direct3D 9 backends as available, to resolve various issues with OpenGL rendering.

However, despite Muzicman0's success I couldn't get your waves video to run as a background in MC24.0.60 using the Obsidian or Noire skins. Maybe ANGLE is playing a role in that, or something else is going on.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 09:11:46 pm »

However, despite Muzicman0's success I couldn't get your waves video to run as a background in MC24.0.60 using the Obsidian or Noire skins. Maybe ANGLE is playing a role in that, or something else is going on.

Here is how I did it (just did it again on a different PC):

1. Export the default theme to a zip file.
2. Open the .zip file and delete the images in the root of the folder.
3. copy the .wmv file into the root of the zip file.
4. Install the updated .zip file as a new theme.
5. In Theater view settings, select theme|background and set it to Arctic White.
6. In the same place, select Image/Video mix amount and select Strong.
7. Set MC to use Legacy Direct3d.  I tried with OpenGL, but it still doesn't work, and I am on .60

You can actually select different colors in step 5, to get a different effect.  If you want more blue, just select the blue option.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 12:03:22 am »

Thanks for sharing muzicman0.

Unfortunately, I tried all that and it still didn't work. Must be platform specific or something. The PC I just tested on is old, not my HTPC.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 12:43:51 pm »

Are you running MC24.0.60?

As of MC24.0.59 MC is running a new graphics abstraction layer called ANGLE, which will switch between Direct3D and OpenGL as required. On a Windows PC Direct3D should be used automatically.

I was running .55 but I just upgraded to .60 and still not working.

I've tried on two different computers.  I've tried with several different skins and themes and it doesn't work. 

I did find one weird thing though.  The two computers I've tried on are my HTPC (Win 10) and my work computer (Win 7).  On my work computer I can change the background color and it works.  On my HTPC no matter what color I choose it displays black (I am completely fine with this, I want black.  Just found this interesting).

If anyone is interested in what I think are some cool video backgrounds, I've uploaded mine here
Pages: [1]   Go Up