INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.0 channel mapping incorrect  (Read 1609 times)

kjoel

• Recent member
5.0 channel mapping incorrect
« on: April 25, 2018, 05:43:00 am »

I have an exaSound e38.  Channel mapping is incorrect while playing 5.0 DSD.   The output is one channel off starting at output 4.

It should be mapping: 1-LF, 2-RF, 3-C, (4-SW <silent>) 5-LS, 6-RS

It’s actually mapping: 1-LF, 2-RF, 3-C, 4-(LS), 5-(RS), 6-<silent>.

I checked cabling and channel assignments in the audio MIDI setup and my setup is correct.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 5.0 channel mapping incorrect
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 06:17:39 am »

If you are using "source number of channels" in output format, that channel mapping is correct.
If you want Media Center to map 5.0 to a 5.1 container, set your output as "5.1 channels".

AVRs and Sound Cards remap 5.0 inputs to 5.1 themselves, multichannel DACs do not.

kjoel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:31:34 am »

In Options/Settings I have:

Bitstreaming: Yes (DSD)

.. because I don’t want to convert DSD to PCM.  With bitstreaming set to DSD, aren’t any settings under "DSP & output format" bypassed?  Even so, I have Channels set to 5.1 in the DSP Output Format. 

When when I look at Player/Audio Path during playback, it shows this:

Input: 2.8Mhz 1 bit 5 ch from source format DFF

Changes: “No changes are being made”

Output: DoP 2.8Mhz 1 bit 5 ch using Core Audio (bit streaming)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:21 am »

Ah, that is a problem then.
Unless you can remap the channels in your DAC's driver/software, you'll be stuck with the wrong channel mapping.
It's not that Media Center is mapping the channels incorrectly, it's that the DAC is not remapping them.

That being said, unless your CPU cannot handle DSD decoding, I would suggest disabling bitstreaming and outputting a high-res 5.1 PCM signal instead.
If you have SoX resampling enabled, and dither set to TPDF in Media Center's options, it will do a very high quality conversion.

kjoel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:17:27 pm »

I've played the same content through a trial version of HQPlayer and it maps correctly.

exa065

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:10:19 pm »

RD James,

The issue appears in bit-streaming mode on JRiver for Mac. JRiver for Windows in bit-streaming mode handles properly channel mapping for 4.0, 5.0 and 7.0 content. 

It is impossible for the DAC to handle the channel re-maping since it is not aware of the format of the source file or stream. The issue is not present with other Mac players like Audirvana, HQPlayer, Roon and Decibel. Could you look into the differences in the implementation of the Windows and Mac versions of JRiver?

Thank you,
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up