INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing HiRes 24 bits files to a DAC that accepts only 16 bits  (Read 506 times)

mikefour

• Junior Woodchuck

I am sure that this question was asked before but I couldn't find an answer while doing a search in this forum.
I have an old DAC that will be connected via a USB(computer) to SPDIF(DAC) converter. The USB to SPDIF converter is iFi iDac2 which is connected with a USB cable to the computer but I will not use its analog output, only its SPDIF connector to connect it to the DAC.
The DAC only accepts resolution of 16 Bits. I have flac files with 24 bits resolution. Can I play them directly to the DAC or there is a setting in MC that  I need to change in order to play them.

Thanks

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing HiRes 24 bits files to a DAC that accepts only 16 bits
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:10:39 am »

Media Center should automatically select the correct bit-depth for output, but you can manually specify this in: Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings
I would also recommend that you have dither mode set to TPDF in: Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Dither Mode

mikefour

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:23:41 am »

1. Does it matter what mode I select for the iFi iDac2 (WASSAPI/Direct Sound etc.) since the iDac2 is only being used as a converter between USB to SPDIF (because I don't use the iDac2 analog outputs)?

2. Your advice of setting Dither mode to TPDF instead of the default "JRiver BitExact Dithering" is it always better than the JRiver one or it is because of the conversion from 24 Bits to 16.

Thanks

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:37:55 am »

1. I would suggest using WASAPI.
2. TPDF dither should always be used, but it is especially important when reducing the bit-depth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up