INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compatibility check with JRiver - Onkyo DP-S1  (Read 1183 times)

JohanJooste

• Junior Woodchuck
Compatibility check with JRiver - Onkyo DP-S1
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:05:56 am »

Evening Guys - I am planning on purchasing the Onkyo DP-S1 DAP and was wondering if its fully compatible with JRiver and if operation of transferring files to the unit is the same as with an iPod Classic ?

Please advise and thank you for a great product yet again.

Regards
JJ

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Compatibility check with JRiver - Onkyo DP-S1
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:10:55 am »

sure why not?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JohanJooste

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 06:02:07 am »

Afternoon Right so I got the Onkyo DP-S1 and after a lengthy battle to upgrade firmware I eventually got it to connect with JRiver 24 and Win 10 - alas it does not function within JRiver as the older 160GB iPod does.

Yes it has more storage space and Yes it offers upsampling and touch screen functionality etc but couple of issues that maybe the JRiver Forum Universe can comment on or maybe clear up for me please.

- Why does JRiver in essence make a copy of the Tracks as per the transfer options setting, to default location C drive or any location of choice, before transferring
the tracks to the Onkyo DP-S1 - afterwards displaying both "versions" stacked in the library but with different locations ?

- Why is the default encoding format listed in the Handheld Options changed to FLAC instead of keeping it the same as the original/preferred encoding format selected. ?

This does not happen when transferring tracks to iPod. Really interested to hear why this happens please.

Thank you and regards
JJ

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:13:23 am »

Handheld Sync has some options. 

The encoding format is one of them.

You have MC set to use a cache so that you don't have to re-convert in the future.  You can turn that off.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Handheld_Sync_Options

JohanJooste

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 06:42:09 am »

Tx for the reply Jim please help on your comment..."You have MC set to use a cache so that you don't have to re-convert in the future.  You can turn that off."

I have not set MC to use cache - dont even know where to do this.... I have MC setup with defaults apart from encoder setting and playback device as I use it purely for music playback via my Hifi. As for the music transfer to iPod I just hooked up the iPod and transferred not even worrying about the conversion etc.

Anyway to understand this better - where do I deselect or switch off the use cache function?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:30 am »

Anyway to understand this better - where do I deselect or switch off the use cache function?

more specifically, type "cache" into the search window in Tools>Options

cache is set default on. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up