INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import screwed up tags  (Read 724 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Auto Import screwed up tags
« on: March 04, 2019, 07:25:55 am »

Hello
I added two folders to the media folder list (Import -> Configure Auto Import The folders Add etc.
After that a an auto import on all folders in the library started, screwing up (deleting)  a lot of information in custom tag and classical music tags (composer, composition etc.). After trembling and sweating cold I restore a library back up and hopefully (and appaerently: I am checking this NOW) restored all the information.
How can I avoid this? is there any check box or radio button to avoi a fuill rescan anytime I add / change the library folder repository?
I am ascared touching anything now: I spend a lot of effort on tagging and I want to avoid this kind of ... events
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto Import screwed up tags
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:14 am »

I would...
Check each affected library field and make sure the setting "save in file tags (when possible)" is checked. To do this, go to "Tools > Options > Library and folders > Manage library fields"

Once happy with that, select all files, then run "Library Tools > Update Tags From Library" on the lot. Depending on how many files we are talking about, this could take some time.

Now, your file tags and your library will be in sync, and, so long as you have not turned off tag writing in MC, will stay in sync and you won't bump into this issue again.

Maybe test a small subset first if you're nervous about this.
As you correctly worked out, the automatic library backups are your friend, and they work very well. You can make manual backups too, if you like, immediately before testing, and restore from those.

Just shout if you have any more questions...

-marko.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Re: Auto Import screwed up tags
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:24:49 am »

thank you so much for your reply!
next time I'll perform the library backups BEFORE doing anything. I sill donno understand why such update will touch the existing tags. It is a bad policy overall ... this make me trembling
I expect a few words from the development team ...
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature
Pages: [1]   Go Up