INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to switch between different DSP/convolving configuration  (Read 1921 times)

Mister Cool

• Recent member
how to switch between different DSP/convolving configuration
« on: April 27, 2018, 06:26:31 am »

Hello,

I plan to use JRiver with the convolution engine for the Acourate filter. I have two sets of this Acourate filter e.g. one for the "dynamic" one for Reggae, R&B  or Techno music and another "neutral" one for Classical or Jazz music. Each set includes all the required WAV-filter files per sampling rate.

How can I create two different configurations (utilizing this two filter sets) and switch between them "on the fly" (e.g. per hot key or what ever) depending on which music I currently play?   

I do not mean the automatic recognition and switching of the used filters based on sampling rate of the music file (per config files).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: how to switch between different DSP/convolving configuration
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 06:35:27 am »

Welcome to the forum. 

You can toggle between two zones with Ctrl-T.  The wiki has a topic on zones.

Mister Cool

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 06:42:30 am »

Thank you!

I will try it out.

Does it work "on the fly" during the playback (e.g. for A/B comparison), or do I have to stop the playback and start it again? 

Mister Cool

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:11:46 pm »

Hi,
In the mean time I use MC since weeks, but simple switching between zones doesn‘t resolve my problem. Keep in mind, all created zones should use the same source and play the same piece of music on the same output device with the same volume without stopping to play. The only thing which shoul be changed is the filter set used by the convolver.
My current problems are
1. I have to stop to play music in one zone before I switch to other zone and start te playback again (because of the same output?)
2. I have to search for the same piece of music in the other zone
3. I have to start the playback from the beginning.

Is there any workaround to overcome this problems?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:39:25 pm »

There is no solution I am aware of using MC alone. You need to use an external convolver to do this

Mister Cool

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 03:30:38 pm »

You need to use an external convolver to do this

It‘s not an option :-)
One of the major reasons to use MC is the embeded convolver.

What would happen if I would manage to exchange the used filter files outside of the MC (e.g. Scripts, macros or what ever), without creating/using/switching zones in MC.
I mean the following

Play music (in MC)
Pause the playback (in MC)
Replace the filter files used by the convolver with other filter files using e.g. MacOS script/batch
Continue the playback (in MC)

Would MC recognize the exchanged filter files?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 05:17:40 pm »

Would MC recognize the exchanged filter files?
I expect not, see https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution#Config_File_Reloading

never tried it on Mac though (albeit I would not expect this to be OS specific behaviour)

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 06:15:46 pm »

This seems like a good application for DSP Presets.  I'm not sure if you can do key mappings to select specific DSP Presets or not.  But I'm certain that the presets will recall your DSP settings.  That should include Convolution settings I think.  It's worth a try for sure.

Brian.

Mister Cool

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 11:49:15 pm »

This seems like a good application for DSP Presets...... It's worth a try for sure.

Brian.

Yeah, when can I see and test it in MC 25?  :D

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 03:46:58 am »

with JRiverMC24 and acourateconvolver this can be done now, on the fly and with 27 (3x9) filtersets, each filterset can have 1...n filters. I use n=16.
Drawback for Macusers: Needs Windows (7,8.1,,10)
No need to wait for MC25 :)

May be it works with VM (for example Parallels, VM-Ware) or Bootcamp on Mac.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 08:15:10 am »

Yeah, when can I see and test it in MC 25?  :D
DSP Presets were introduced in MC 20. You use the Load/Save button at the bottom right of DSP Studio. You can also assign a DSP Preset to a song using the DSP tag. This will then load the convolution file for that song.

Note that there is currently no default DSP Preset. If you start using DSP tags, the last loaded DSP Preset will continue to be used until another song comes up with a different DSP tag. This means you need to create a Default DSP Preset and assign it to all songs so they revert back to your Default. Then assign the convolution changes to ones that you want.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 09:17:38 am »

The song based DSP Presets are too weird for me.  Don't get me wrong, I know it can be used.  I just find it too awkward and hard to remember, so I choose not to use the Song Assignment DSP Preset feature.

I just did a search and found a thread that I started about switching DSP Presets with a hot key:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=110859.0

The summary is that MCWS (MC's built in web service) has a Load DSP Preset function that can load DSP Presets by name.  You can call this from a web browser or from a command line using CURL.  If you have the motivation to do so, you can get a third party key mapping program for OSX that can call programs.  Then you can assign hot keys to run little tiny scripts that call MCWS with the proper arguments to switch presets.

This would allow you to hot key between DSP Presets at any time.  It's not exactly easy to do, but it's doable if you are motivated to make this work.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up