INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio out in 5.1  (Read 1975 times)

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Audio out in 5.1
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:37:47 am »

Hi

I have a media streamer (Mede8er) that is plugged into my tv via HDMI, and the tv outputs via optical to my AVR. The output is DD 5.1 or DTS etc as shown on the AVR screen and is properly outputting to the 6 channels. I can select different streams such as DTS-MA Dolby 5.1 etc, they all just work.

I cannot achieve the same if outputting from my NUC6 i3 to HDMI to the same tv and AVR on the same optical and using MC. For most of the settings I try I get an error that playback fails due to unsupported hardware. I have tried everything I can think of. I guess I need bitstreaming but that too fails.

I have no HDMI audio on the AVR (its old) and I may replace it. I have considered an HDMI audio extractor. I cant fathom why I cant get it to work when the Mede8er just does it with no issues over the same connection.

Too many settings/permutations in MC for me to get my head around! Any suggestions on settings to try? I dont have the same issues outputting stereo music files.

Thanks

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Audio out in 5.1
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:04:23 pm »

Ok, so no takers on this. I have investigated further and have found a bitstreaming setting that will allow Dolby 3/2 and DTS if played from DVD isos.

The same setting will not work when I try to playback a Blu ray rip (mkv). I get the "Possibly hardware not supported" message. I'm guessing they are more channels / higher bit rates.

Does changing anything in the DSP settings make any difference if I've enabled bitstreaming? Why does bitstreaming have (not recommended) by the setting?

Any suggestions for settings I can try? If I disable all options in DSP, is that the same as passthrough?

Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:00:28 pm »

Your problem may be that the audio return from the TV to the AVR via optical does not pass the requirements for bitstreaming multichannel lossless sound. That can only be done via HDMI all the way through, or via an analogue decoded signal (after DA Conversion). You will be able to pass through 2-channel audio and compressed (AC3/DTS core) audio though, up to 6.1 for DD-EX and DTS-ES.
Your other streaming player only reads the core tracks and sends those only.

You might be able to replicate the configuration of the streamer, in MC, by setting bitstreaming to SPDIF only, because that is in fact what you are using (optical connection between TV and AVR).

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:20:19 am »

Thanks for the reply. What you are saying entirely makes sense, particularly the bitstreaming options. I took that to be where I sent the stream as opposed to what type of stream so it makes sense to select spdif rather than hdmi and hopefully send the core tracks only, not the hd.

Sadly, I still cant get it to work for any of my blurays rips. I have tried the Bitstreaming>Custom option and just selected the care options but still see the same error message as attached.

I switched off bitstreaming and enabled DSP output options and selected 2 channel out and that still gave the same error.

I just cant work it out. I shall try using VLC and see what I can do with that...

RD James

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:50:21 am »

Aren't NUCs notorious for only supporting an extremely limited range of formats over HDMI?
Have you tried enabling Dolby Digital encoding in DSP Studio rather than bitstreaming?
I would expect that you can at least enable Dolby Digital bitstreaming, possibly Dolby Digital Plus and DTS, but the other formats are unlikely to work in your setup.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:53:07 am »

Check in the audio device properties that DD and DTS are included and checked as supported formats.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 04:22:46 pm »

Ok, thanks for the suggestions.

I have a second machine to try so I'm going to swap out the NUC and see what I can do with another windows machine.

I will update with results
Pages: [1]   Go Up