INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normalization  (Read 1056 times)

kennyk

• Recent member
Normalization
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:25:21 pm »

Hi, I am wondering how the normalization function in JR23 compares to that of "MP3 Doctor Pro 2", if anyone has had experience with both I'd love to hear from you.

Does JR23's function only normalize based on peaks?

Also does the normalization work when the file is played on other players? Meaning that the normalization would be embeded in the file for other players to read? Or does it only work when played in JR?

Cheers

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Normalization
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 05:57:03 am »

Media Center's Volume Leveling is based on the EBU R128 standard.
Analysis writes R128 tags, but also writes ReplayGain tags offset +5dB from those values for other devices, since R128 targets -23 LUFS (dBFS).

Peak Level Normalization can be enabled via Adaptive Volume, and there's a special mode where enabling both Volume Leveling and Peak Level Normalization will level the playlist, and then normalize it across all tracks based on the highest peak level in the playlist - though it's not something I recommend if you want consistent leveling.

kennyk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:06:42 pm »

Media Center's Volume Leveling is based on the EBU R128 standard.
Analysis writes R128 tags, but also writes ReplayGain tags offset +5dB from those values for other devices, since R128 targets -23 LUFS (dBFS).

Peak Level Normalization can be enabled via Adaptive Volume, and there's a special mode where enabling both Volume Leveling and Peak Level Normalization will level the playlist, and then normalize it across all tracks based on the highest peak level in the playlist - though it's not something I recommend if you want consistent leveling.
Thanks for that, not sure I understand you well enough.
Let me be more specific.
I am a muso, a soloist, I sing and play guitar to backing tracks. Most I make myself in a DAW, which I save as .wav files. Other I get elsewhere as MP3's. When I play them as a performance some are too loud, some are too soft, most are good. If I use JR to analyze, and normalize the tracks. What would be the best settings to normalize them, not just by peaks, but by overall loudness, if you know what I mean.
Above, I think you suggested it would be better NOT to use "adaptive volume", am I understanding that correctly?
I can use JR to play these for my performances, but what if I choose to use a different player will the normalization done in JR be interpreted by another player, or does that depend on the player?

kennyk

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:44:12 pm »

Update: I just searched through help and found what I needed, I did look before but couldn't find it then.
From what I just read it sounds like I am to be better served by plying my tracks in JR with volume leveling, but not adaptive volume.
The volume analysis is with the file so compatible players will be able to play the file accordingly.
However the level of control will vary from player to player.
Pages: [1]   Go Up