INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center as just a transporter  (Read 1538 times)

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center as just a transporter
« on: April 29, 2018, 07:05:36 pm »

How do I configure Media Center to function as just a transporter, having no library of its own? It would take audio stream from another Media Center (operating with full GUI, library, LAN connected) and play it unchanged to its USB port. A flipper of bits so to speak. The transporter work in the background once setup.

Is the possible using DLNA? Or some kind of Zone setup? My first try using DLNA failed. Perhaps incomplete understanding.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center as just a transporter
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 09:54:42 pm »

Should be easy enough with DLNA.

I assume "transporter" is equivalent to "renderer".

Activate DLNA on both machines, with DLNA Controller checked on one and Renderer on the other. For the Renderer machine to be "bit perfect" the DAC will need to be set up and be capable of whatever you are sending to it (bit rate, bit depth, etc.). On the Controller machine you should see the Renderer machine as a zone to play to.

On the Controller machine, Under Add or configure DLNA servers, under Audio set Mode: to Original.

Good luck.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:23:10 am »

Please read the wiki topic on DLNA.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:11:26 am »

Enable Media Network on your Library Server.
Tools > Options > Media Network > Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA. This will create an access key.

Now connect to the server on your client PC.
File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library > Library Server > Enter Access Key

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:23:26 am »

Enable Media Network on your Library Server.
Tools > Options > Media Network > Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA. This will create an access key.

Now connect to the server on your client PC.
File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library > Library Server > Enter Access Key

Thanks JimH and RD James for helping out. I have setup Server+Controller on one PC, Renderer on the other but it won't play from the Server. Pehaps the reason is the two are connected by a direct Ethernet LAN line with private fixed IP addresses. The Server has two LAN cards - one to house LAN and Internet, the other LAN card to the Renderer.

I don't know what's the problem. Maybe DLNA of the two PCs refuse to communicate via a direct private IP connection? There are no error messages from MC to identify. When I click Play on Server, it starts, then gets stuck at time 0. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 07:45:59 am »

Fixed IP addresses aren't a problem.

Why do you have the Renderer on its own segment? 

Try moving it to your house LAN to test.

It's possible your network isn't configured correctly.

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:55:40 am »

Fixed IP addresses aren't a problem.
Why do you have the Renderer on its own segment? 
Try moving it to your house LAN to test.
It's possible your network isn't configured correctly.

Thanks so much Jim for paying attention to my post among so many others. And advise.

Yes I got DLNA working in my special configuration. That's 2 PCs connected via a private Ethernet line. Yes it took some learning and just keep trying, but it works.

BUT there is another big PROBLEM. Playing audio files work, but playing VIDEO files do not. It seems asking MC to play the video on the server PC but send the audio via DLNA to the other PC is some kind of contradiction? I tried but just can't figure out a way to send the audio of video out via DLNA connection.

When I reset Audio Device = Network Streamer back to the local USB/optical device then audio of video is played as normal.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:24 am »

That's just the way it works.  You can't split audio and send it via DLNA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up