INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED - MC 24 Mac Read-Speed ignored by Samsung USB drive  (Read 828 times)

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck

Regardless of what read speed I specify in JRiver Media Center 24, my Samsung SE-218 USB disc reader displays (in JRiver) as ripping at higher speeds.  This is an issue persisting back to 2005 in MC-11. 

What is causing this? 

How do I force the drive to rip at the requested speed? 

If this is a JRiver artifact, when will it ever be fixed? 

If I need a different drive to obey the rip-speed command, which drives will work properly with JRiver?

Thanks - Boomzilla

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: SOLVED - MC 24 Mac Read-Speed ignored by Samsung USB drive
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 02:48:21 am »

I've discovered the issue.  The Samsung drive is incapable of obeying specific speed commands.  Any request for the drive to run at a slower speed than its minimum WILL slow the drive down, but the rip will start at 1x (the Samsung's minimum) but the dynamic speed control of the Samsung will automatically raise the ripping speed if the optical disc quality allows it. 

When I set JRiver to rip at max speed, I get up to 27x speeds from the Samsung.  When I set JRiver to rip at 1x, I get up to about 8x speeds from the Samsung.

This is a hardware issue that will not and cannot be fixed via JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:25:16 am »

Why don't you just let MC and the drive do their own thing?  There's no need to slow down modern drives.  They're very reliable. 

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:44:09 am »

Why don't you just let MC and the drive do their own thing?  There's no need to slow down modern drives.  They're very reliable.
Agreed.  I was under the (mistaken and out-of-date) impression that the slower a drive would read, the more accurate the rip would be.  But modern drives have sufficient error checking that even at very high read speeds, they're not prone to errors, and if they do have an error, the internal diagnostics will take care of the (multiple) re-reading passes until either the error is resolved or flagged in the ripped file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up