INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac version issues  (Read 1662 times)

jcris

• Recent member
Mac version issues
« on: May 03, 2018, 08:22:59 am »

I will start by saying I'm a long time user of MC 21 on a pc running Win 10 and have been very satisfied. Since I began a trial of MC 24.0.20 for Mac I've been experiencing freezing of the app where it just completely stops responding. This is very surprising given how stable the windows app has been over the years. I'll admit the OS X operating system is new to me but I think I'm at least beginning to get that figured out. In the next few days I'm going to choose a player from either JRiver, Audirvana or Roon. Before that I wanted to ask this group their thoughts and perhaps get suggestions on improving my experience in the OS X environment.
Comments please.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mac version issues
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:03 am »

Make sure your thumbnails finish building.  You can do that in options.  Options has a search window.

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:50 pm »

I have experienced freezing of the app on all recent builds even with no other windows open. The app pane is totally unresponsive but I have found that going to the menu bar and changing view to mini and then back to standard unfreezes the window. Not a remedy as it becomes unresponsive again. A work around at best.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »

I have experienced freezing of the app on all recent builds even with no other windows open. The app pane is totally unresponsive but I have found that going to the menu bar and changing view to mini and then back to standard unfreezes the window. Not a remedy as it becomes unresponsive again. A work around at best.
Is that the MC menu bar at the top of the screen?

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »

Yes, If all I do after a restart is use JRiver then after it freezes the menu bar at the top of the sceen of course still shows MC.

Go into view and select mini view then standard view.

There are no other windows open.

Recent builds includes 23.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 07:28:10 pm »

It also helps to disable the little fft spectral dance bling up top as it consumes a lot of cpu and isn't even very good eye candy.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:09 am »

It also helps to disable the little fft spectral dance bling up top as it consumes a lot of cpu and isn't even very good eye candy.
New MC 24 builds are using a much better fft for this and the CPU usage should be much reduced.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 11:10:19 am »

Yes, If all I do after a restart is use JRiver then after it freezes the menu bar at the top of the sceen of course still shows MC.

Go into view and select mini view then standard view.

There are no other windows open.

Recent builds includes 23.
I can't reproduce this so far.
Goto Help->System Info
Expand the Advanced tab
Copy and paste the results into a post here please.

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »

MC24 seems at least as stable as MC 22 for me so far. In fact no screen freezes at all. The MC22 interfaces still froze for me occasionally, mostly when flitting about with the Bluetooth trackpad. Does the music keep playing when it freezes for you?

I long ago abandoned the little dual spectrum analyzer to reduce cpu and get slightly better sound quality. Turning them back on increases cpu from about 3-6% up to 7-10%, 2102 mac mini i5 w/10GB.

MC23 and MC 24 both have higher cpu then MC22, and MC22 sounds better. This is true for windows and mac. Would love to see some progress on this.

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 05:00:36 pm »

I can't reproduce this so far.
Goto Help->System Info
Expand the Advanced tab
Copy and paste the results into a post here please.

I don’t see an Advanced tab, just Reporter.

Am I missing something?

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 07:02:33 am »

It looks more like a menu option than a tab to me. Maybe it's this: in the big window under system info, go to the bottom and click on Advanced System Info. I don't see a way to cut n paste that though.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 09:06:52 am »

It looks more like a menu option than a tab to me. Maybe it's this: in the big window under system info, go to the bottom and click on Advanced System Info. I don't see a way to cut n paste that though.
That's it, sorry for the imprecise directions.
You can do a screenshot on the Mac of the window by doing
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »

Got it! Here is a screenshot of advanced info.

Pages: [1]   Go Up