INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inconsistency In MadVR Setting vs JRiver Playback Info  (Read 2611 times)

st4evr

Inconsistency In MadVR Setting vs JRiver Playback Info
« on: May 05, 2018, 12:21:19 am »

Hello,

New JRiver user trying the application out, but been using other playback software for many years. Wanted to try JRiver out after hearing some good things about it.

So, I have setup MadVR for both MPC-BE and JRiver and am working through the settings that best fit this current setup.

I noticed that when I playback a UHD BD on JRiver the Chroma Upscaling reports as Bicubic 75 AR.

When I playback the exact same media on MPC-BE MadVR reports as NGU Anti-Alias (med), which is correct as that is what I have listed in MadVR.

Is this standard functionality as JRiver does not support this Chroma setting? Or some other reason?

I have the MadVR plugin settings for NGU setup in the installation of MadVR located here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 24\Plugins\madvr

and I am using MadVR version 92.14. I recall reading that this is the correct folder for MadVR for use in JRiver and seems to be working accordingly for the most part aside from this.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance/guidance on this.

EDIT: Additional info I forgot to add.

'Video mode' under "General Video Settings" is set to 'Advance - Custom'

I have added 'MadVR' and 'LAV Video Decoder' under the "Red October HQ" options.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Inconsistency In MadVR Setting vs JRiver Playback Info
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 01:05:20 am »

Welcome.  No need to use Custom.  Just use Red October HQ (it is lav and madVR) then config (MC's private version of) madVR using either Tools--> Options--> Video--> "... Open madVR Settings" or right click on a playing video--> direct show filters--> madVR.  As you have found, MC includes a private version of LAV/madVR in that Plug In folder and if you do manually update these files to a "later release" you can just rollback by deleting the folder and MC will download again the currently recommend one.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:57:22 am »

If you haven't done so, please read the wiki topic:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Red_October

Don't modify madVR until you use MC first.  It should work fine without changes.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:44:50 am »

You have the "scale chroma separately, if it saves performance" option enabled in the "trade quality for performance" section, and are downscaling the video.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 10:08:28 am »

As you noticed madVR for MPC-BE is different than madVR for MC. They are two different installations but the versions may be close enough that you could just COPY the settings.bin from your MPC-BE madVR installation directory to the MC madVR directory.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

RD James

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 10:14:16 am »

As you noticed madVR for MPC-BE is different that madVR for MC. They are two different installations but the versions may be close enough that you could just COPY the settings.bin from your MPC-BE madVR installation directory to the MC madVR directory.
My recommendation would be to remove other copies of madVR and run "install.bat" for the version of madVR located at "%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 24\Plugins\madvr\" so that you only have one version installed on the system.
I do the same thing with LAV Filters too - which means that you benefit from Media Center updating them automatically (though MC tends to have quite a lag between new versions and updating them).

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 10:48:44 am »

My recommendation would be to remove other copies of madVR and run "install.bat" for the version of madVR... I do the same thing with LAV Filters too

I remember doing this in the past and madVR was ok but I had issues when other programs tried to use LAV Filters. Is this recommended now?
Windows 10 Pro x64

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 10:55:08 am »

What is the harm in running different installs of madVR - latest that works with MC, latest that works with Zoom Player, latest that works with MPC-BE, etc... As long as they are put into the correct directories?

audioriver

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:59:36 am »

I'm not sure if and how the Registry is being used, I see that LAV stores several settings there. Using different versions sharing different settings on the same machine might cause trouble.
Windows 10 Pro x64

RD James

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 11:05:00 am »

I remember doing this in the past and madVR was ok but I had issues when other programs tried to use LAV Filters. Is this recommended now?
I don't know about recommended, but I've had no issues with it and have been doing that for years.

What is the harm in running different installs of madVR - latest that works with MC, latest that works with Zoom Player, latest that works with MPC-BE, etc... As long as they are put into the correct directories?
There's no harm in it, but now you're managing multiple (potentially) different versions of madVR and settings for each.
That's far too much hassle for me.

I keep one install of madVR (in the MC plugins directory) and use profile groups if I want different settings for other media players.
For example:
Code: [Select]
if (mediaPlayer = "mpc-be64.exe") "mpc-be"
else "default"
I use this rule for a profile group so that MPC-BE has all post-processing disabled and the queue sizes set to the minimum, as I typically only use it for things like scanning through files to look for a specific timecode or taking screenshots and want it to be as responsive as possible.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 11:19:25 am »

I've never tried MPC-BE... So there is something in MPC-BE to point to the MC madVR installation directory?

When I install Zoom Player, it just puts madVR in Program Files(x86). I never tried to "point" Zoom Player to any other madVR installation. Not even sure it's possible.

RD James

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 11:31:31 am »

I've never tried MPC-BE... So there is something in MPC-BE to point to the MC madVR installation directory?

When I install Zoom Player, it just puts madVR in Program Files(x86). I never tried to "point" Zoom Player to any other madVR installation. Not even sure it's possible.
If you run install.bat in the madVR folder it's registered to the system and other media players should be able to use it.

st4evr

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 01:12:49 am »

Just wanna thank everyone who replied for their input! The info is much appreciated.  :)

Welcome.  No need to use Custom.  Just use Red October HQ (it is lav and madVR) then config (MC's private version of) madVR using either Tools--> Options--> Video--> "... Open madVR Settings" or right click on a playing video--> direct show filters--> madVR.  As you have found, MC includes a private version of LAV/madVR in that Plug In folder and if you do manually update these files to a "later release" you can just rollback by deleting the folder and MC will download again the currently recommend one.

Tried and rolled back as well to the default that JRiver downloads (92.4) and still plays with Chroma = Bicubic 75 AR.

If you haven't done so, please read the wiki topic:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Red_October

Don't modify madVR until you use MC first.  It should work fine without changes.

Read and thank you for this info. Based on this I'll continue to test defaults as well.

You have the "scale chroma separately, if it saves performance" option enabled in the "trade quality for performance" section, and are downscaling the video.

It is already enabled.

My recommendation would be to remove other copies of madVR and run "install.bat" for the version of madVR located at "%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 24\Plugins\madvr\" so that you only have one version installed on the system.
I do the same thing with LAV Filters too - which means that you benefit from Media Center updating them automatically (though MC tends to have quite a lag between new versions and updating them).

Tried this and same result. MPC-BE uses the setting passed onto it by MadVR while JRiver still uses Bicubic 75 AR.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 02:06:29 am »

What does madVR say it is set when you have RedOctober HQ selected then config madVR using either Tools--> Options--> Video--> "... Open madVR Settings" or right click on a playing video--> direct show filters--> madVR?  This is all that you should need to config madVR from inside MC.  FYI - madVR's setting are kept in both the setings.bin file and registry (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR). 
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 10:46:52 am »

It is already enabled.
Yes, I'm telling you that having it enabled is what's causing this.
That option means chroma will be downscaled directly rather than upscaled to match the luma resolution and then luma+chroma downscaled together.

st4evr

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 03:49:40 pm »

Yes, I'm telling you that having it enabled is what's causing this.
That option means chroma will be downscaled directly rather than upscaled to match the luma resolution and then luma+chroma downscaled together.

My apologies I misread your previous comment!

This is the answer.

Interesting though as I read quite some time ago it was not necessary to explicitly disable to feature for this (may have been somewhere in the Doom9 forum), but they/I may have been wrong and appears that JRiver requires this feature explicitly turned off. Learn something new everyday.  :)

Again, thank YOU and everyone else in this thread for their help/input and looking forward to testing and watching a few flicks with JRiver.   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up