INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with setup  (Read 987 times)

mikefour

• Junior Woodchuck
Help with setup
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:35:14 am »

Currently I have my Desktop computer running MC. This computer is connected to an external DAC which is connected to Active Loudspeakers.

I  have a NAS with media files and I would like to use it as a Media Server (MC will be running in the NAS). So the DAC will be connected to the NAS instead of to my Desktop computer.

I have no problem playing media files on the NAS (to the NAS) and controlling MC remotely to play them, but the problem that I am facing is that, while browsing the Internet for example, how can I listen to YouTube since the DAC is connected to the NAS.

Is it possible to reroute playback from my Desktop PC to MC which resides on the NAS? Like bridging the Two instances of MC one in The Desktop and the other in the NAS.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice how to solve this problem.

mikefour

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Help with setup
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 06:36:45 pm »

Could one of the JRiver staff chime in or one of the JRiver experts will reply whether what I am asking is feasible or not.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:28:44 pm »

You can't really route web content.  It would be nice if you could.

mikefour

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:38:12 pm »

You can't really route web content.  It would be nice if you could.
Is it technically feasible that you could add an option like this.
I wonder if I am the only one who need it.
If you can add an option like this you will save me from buying a new DAC just for Web route.

Thanks

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 08:48:53 pm »

A lot of this probably depends on what you mean when you say "NAS".
Since you can run Media Center on it, that already makes me think that you really mean a computer that you're using as a storage device, rather than a dedicated NAS box.
Whether this is Windows-based, Linux-based, or something else really makes a difference.

With a Windows-based machine, there are tools like VB-Audio's VBAN which can route audio to other devices over a network. I'm sure there must also be solutions for Linux.
I haven't used it, but in theory you could route the system audio from one PC to the other via VBAN and then get that to output to Media Center's WDM driver.
Of course it would be even better if Media Center could stream WDM audio to another device without the need for third-party software.

There are two problems with that right now:
1. The WDM driver no longer works on Windows 10 without disabling system security features, until JRiver update the driver.
2. Even when the WDM driver is working, I have had issues with VB-Audio's other products like Voicemeeter Banana and the WDM driver - the WDM driver played back distorted audio no matter what settings I used. So that's something else which likely requires an updated driver.

mikefour

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 12:49:27 pm »

RD James,

Thank you for your advice.
The "NAS" is a Windows Server Computer with Media Files.
Per you advice I will try the VB-Audio VBAN and I hope that they will be able to route sound from my computer to the Server.

Thank you again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up