INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total system freeze [Probably Kaspersky]  (Read 1013 times)

z10rog

• Recent member
Total system freeze [Probably Kaspersky]
« on: May 05, 2018, 01:56:14 pm »

Hi,

I decided to go for the 64-bit version of MediaCenter once it reached version 24. I kind of regret it now. I experience random system crashes. The computer totally freeze, even hitting the combo ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager won't work. Hitting the reset button on my cabinet, is the only solution, and i hate doing that.
This never happened earlier. I have used MediaCenter 32-bit since version 19.

I have experienced this in every build from 24.0.15 (first install).

Random program crashes is hard to investigate, i know. Is there any log-files i can submit to you? I suspect the crashes stem from the 64-bit plugins located in Appdata/roaming/JRiver. I think i briefly noticed avcodec64 coming up in a report somewhere in Windows.

The most recent crash was just 1 hour ago. I was playing a .mkv file. The total freeze also happened when I just was in the process of editing the id3 fields for some flac files.
I run Windows 10, Skylake 6700k CPU, Nvidia 1080ti.

I'm 99.5% sure this is related to MC24 as I've never experienced in the past and the program is always running when the system shuts on me. Anyone else experience this? Do I have to revert back to 32-bit in order to get a stable system again?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I suspect MediaCenter 24 causes total system freeze
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 01:59:11 pm »

You've said both crash and freeze.  In a freeze, the program is there, but not responsive.  With a crash, the program disappears.  Which one is it?

MC24 is generally stable and the 64 bit version is no less stable than the 32 bit version.

OS? 

Antivirus?

z10rog

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »

You've said both crash and freeze.  In a freeze, the program is there, but not responsive.  With a crash, the program disappears.  Which one is it?

MC24 is generally stable and the 64 bit version is no less stable than the 32 bit version.

OS? 

Antivirus?

it's freeze. Both program and Windows become unresponsive as i have to hit the reset button. As stated in my first post I'm running Windows 10. Kaspersky internet security.
I suspect my system didn't handle the transition from jriver 32-bit to 64-bit well. I ran 32 bit for several years without any issues. Total havoc with MC24 64-bit :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »

Remove Kaspersky

mirskid

• Recent member
Re: Total system freeze
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 11:12:19 pm »

I have the same issue.
If playing videos or music the program suddenly freezes after some time.

After restart if I open the program without playing anything then close it seams fine doing it a few times. Then if I roll over the media server in the task bar it disappears and and when try to open the MC24 shows the window that there was a problem and need to set everything to default or reinstall the program. I also noticed that happening more often with Modern Cards: Dark edition skin which I love.
I am running Windows 10 and kasperski as well. Don't think a solution to run a program is uninstalling the antivirus.
Do I need to go back to 32bit?
What will be the major loss in not usig 64bit?
Thanks,

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Total system freeze
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 07:11:12 am »

Remove Kaspersky.  That's the only way to know if it's causing the problem.

mirskid

• Recent member
Re: Total system freeze [Probably Kaspersky]
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 06:03:44 pm »

Do I have to uninstall kasperski or just pause it for some time?
Thanks,

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Total system freeze [Probably Kaspersky]
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 06:04:43 pm »

You might be able to configure it to ignore JRiver, but if not, the only way to eliminate it as the cause is to uninstall it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up