INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toolbar Icons/Buttons  (Read 1456 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Toolbar Icons/Buttons
« on: June 11, 2003, 02:34:03 am »

Aren't the labels for the icons/buttons in the toolbar redundant? For example: Back button with label next to it saying "Back". The description of the button is in the "tool tip" anyway. And the superfluous label takes up space in the toolbar. It's my understanding that the whole reason for icons is to be able to identify a function with a symbol and not have to use text. It saves space, it's internationally identifiable, and your eye/brain "sees" it faster.

Also, when using what I call the middle size view(you can see your desktop around the edges), the toolbar's ends get cut off and you can lose the use of several buttons. If they didn't have the redundant text (Rip CD/Burn CD/Back etc...), the toolbar wouldn't strech out so far or conversely you could add more function buttons to the tool bar.

On a related note; would it be possible for J River to modify the "burn CD" icon? Make it the cd red or give it bigger (red) flames, something to make less similar to the "rip Cd" and other icons.

Keep up the great work!

Listening to : Fleetwood Mac / Say you Will (album) (ape file)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

phelt

Re: Toolbar Icons/Buttons
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 02:49:17 am »

You should be able to right-click on the toolbar and choose "no text labels" from the text options. Same thing applies for choosing which buttons appear on the toolbar.

Problems with identifying a function with a symbol:
Symbols cannot always express complicated processes as well as text. Also, 2 or more functions may have only a subtle difference between them. But icons which have only subtle differences can be hard to quickly distinguish from each other.

IMO, the best situation is when folks get to customize things - icons, text, or whatever combination suits them :)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 04:20:28 am »

>> Aren't the labels for the icons/buttons in the toolbar redundant? For example: Back button with label next to it saying "Back".<<

Would be nice to selectively add icon labels.  We don't need them for Back & Forward icons as that is so obvious & standard but I often forget some of the other icons.

>> The description of the button is in the "tool tip" anyway. <<

Tool tips are often very slow to respond even on a very fast system as the processor may be doing other things.  This is especially true when using visualizations which slow thing down a lot.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 05:30:28 am »

I amy be slow, but I just cannot identity a cute little picture with a function, when there are so many.  V9's toolbar is a step backwards and another step toward the AOL'ing of the world.  I  really liked the text and icon choice for the toolbar in v8.

I resort to keeping my tool bar very light with very few things so there is a chance I can find what I want.  Tooltips are painfully slow to appear.

Choice is the best choice, and the old v8 choices for icons only, selective text and icons and text gives everyone what they want and need.

nila

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 03:40:03 pm »

I agree - selective text is the best option by far.

I am DYING for a text part to my: 'Playing Now' as it's a COMMONLY used button and it's tiny - I want it to have text. Not just for me but for when friends use my system as they can never find it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up