INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting to tell ffmpeg to use my Nvidia GPU for transcoding?  (Read 1258 times)

DeaneG

• World Citizen

Now that we have ffmpeg4.0, is there a setting available in Media Center to turn on use of my Nvidia card's hardware transcode capabilities? I seem to still be pegging my CPU at 100% instead.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
Re: Setting to tell ffmpeg to use my Nvidia GPU for transcoding?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:25:21 pm »

Even a registry setting or something would be OK.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:30:55 pm »

Pretty please? My PC grinds to a halt during transcoding and becomes more or less useless for half an hour, while my Nvidia card's transcoding hardware just sits idle.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 06:53:57 pm »

you have to have a specially compiled FFMPEG to handle NVENC (the Nvidia Hardware encoder).  I compiled my own a while ago, it wasn't too difficult.  There are actually scripts that will do it for you on Windows.  I doubt that it would be exposed from within MC though, although, I wish it was.  I use command line scripts that run overnight.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 12:17:00 pm »

As I understand it, ffmpeg4.0 supports Nvidia NVDEC and Intel QSV hardware directly, all we need is the option in MC to set a flag when it is called.  At the least, the MC UI could just allow the user to add an arbitrary flag string which would be concatenated with the flag string MC already uses when calling ffmpeg.  At the best, MC could poll the user's system and allow automatic use of NVDEC or QSV hardware if present.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 12:18:39 pm »

Or if there is a resource file with strings used to call ffmpeg, please tell me where it is, and I'll edit the strings myself.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »

Nope - there is no editable config or the ability to add your own transcode profiles.  The idea about making MC's Convert Function more open with profiles etc has been discussed for awhile and the idea does have support from the MC Devs but it is (as of now) just not that high on the list of ToDo's. 
JRiver CEO Elect

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 11:57:24 am »

OK, thanks for the info. I'd be happy to develop and test sample transcode profiles for Nvidia and Intel if it would help any effort to use the transcoding hardware most of us already have in our PCs. I have a reasonable background in image processing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up