INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Structure of Streaming View  (Read 933 times)

Kreator

• Recent member
Structure of Streaming View
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:26:33 pm »

One humble user vote against moving Podcasts into the streaming section of the Tree.
Technically, podcasts are not streaming services, but that is not the point. The point is that they are now one last line in a long list of radio stations. Could not even find them after upgrading to MC 24.
No big deal, but for someone like me who collects a lot of podcasts but does not use streaming much, an inconvenience.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Structure of Streaming View
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:13:42 am »

Not that it helps, but Podcasts are both streaming and download.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 04:41:55 pm »

It seems to me that the issue of where Podcasts reside could be addressed by a more flexible structure for the new Streaming view. Now, there is little user control over the Streaming tree sub-items and no control over the icon view. One of the best features of MC is the ability to customize the UI to your own needs.  This strategy should be adopted for Streaming. So, some suggestions :

1) In the tree, allow a hierarchy. So, you could have, for example,  3 items - My Streaming Stations, Default Streaming Stations, and Podcasts  You currently can create a new tree item, but not a hierarchy.  And the new tree item does not show up in the icon view.

2) Have the icon view reflect the tree view. Now, the icon view is pre-defined and cannot be changed. And, the order seems arbitrary. It should reflect the view the user establishes in the Streaming Tree view, including the hierarchy.

3) Another improvement would be the ability to hide default streaming options that the user is not interested in, in both the streaming tree and the icon view.  Currently you can hide them in the streaming tree, but not in the icon view.

It seems like the current Add View/Customize View logic could be applied to Streaming and it would become much more user friendly, including the ability to highlight Podcasts, or not, depending on your needs.

Right now, for me, Streaming is a jumble of things I am not interested in and there is no way to customize it to make it work for me.

And, adding Streaming urls to Streaming would also help. Now you need a separate structure for that, independent of the Streaming function.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 05:08:14 pm »

I agree with dtc, I don't really get this feature in a few ways.

Firstly the way in which the MC client has grown a view which is a web page instead of a tree (especially when a modern webapp has just been implemented to provide a web view).

Secondly that that new webapp uses MCWS Browse/Children to access that tree but this new page doesn't, i.e. this streaming view is an oddity in both behaviour (it's not tree based) and look/feel (it's in the MC gui but it's a web page).

Ultimately I don't get why these have been special cased as opposed to just being library items that can be tagged and organised in the usual fashion. What is the advantage of the current approach?

RD James

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 05:25:28 pm »

I'm also not a fan of everything being at the top level rather than in categories, or that it's now a web view.
Media Center now seems to spawn a JRWeb.exe process when it is started too, even if you don't access any web-based content.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 07:20:30 pm »

Agree with the previous 3 posts.  In the fullness of time, it would be nice to have full control over which Streaming items we wish to see, and where (Tree, Toolbar, etc).  And to not see those we don't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up