INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with 'Update Library (from tags)' on CUE files with single file albums  (Read 1837 times)

Negasonic

• World Citizen

Problems occurs with albums that consist of a CUE file pointing to a single file mp3 (I did not try with other formats).

Using 'Update Library (from tags)' on an album that, for instance, contains 9 tracks generated the message "Processed 9 files (8 errors)".

From the wording it seems like MC is looking for 9 separate files here, when there is only one (the big file containing all the tracks). Therefore MC only updates the Library on track 1 (of 9). Selecting for instance only track 7 in the track list and performing 'Update Library (from tags)' will do the same thing: Only track 1 will once again be updated.

This causes other problems, now MC also changes Track 1 of the album to be the whole album. In this case, Track 1 is now 39:51 minutes long (which is the original length of the full album).

Bug? Always worked like this? Any potential error on my part?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

.cue files are awful

it can't tag separate tracks as they don't exist, and MC does not change .cue files - which is what it would have to do to "update" the files

in some ways it's kind of a bug, but then again i doubt you'll find much support for MC to put resources into cue files.  i know i would fight against it.

check out cuetools and break the big file into tracks instead ;)

Negasonic

• World Citizen

it can't tag separate tracks as they don't exist, and MC does not change .cue files - which is what it would have to do to "update" the files

MC is not supposed to separate tracks or modify the cue or the single music file in any way. That's what Cuetools are for ;). I am using 'Update Library (from tags)' where MC is just supposed to look at the CUE and the single file and then take that information and rewrite the fields in MC's library.   

ferday

• MC Beta Team

Mmm Interesting.  That is different, my bad for getting it wrong way round.  I think I have some files to test with

Cue files still suck though

Negasonic

• World Citizen

Cue files still suck though

Nooo they are... adorable  :)

Might add that the main tag I wanted MC to take a peek at in the cue/main mp3 file is one I found under the 'Tag Dump' section in MC's tag editor called TXXX (CATALOGNUMBER). This is where an albums Label number is stored after having metadata being pulled from Discogs or other services. The only way I could get MC to pull this tag into its own library field was to make a custom field called 'Catalognumber'. Just in case this particular tag (from the actual file) is causing some weird havoc.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

The only way I could get MC to pull this tag into its own library field was to make a custom field called 'Catalognumber'. Just in case this particular tag (from the actual file) is causing some weird havoc.

My understanding is that that is the correct way to get additional tags into MC, if they are in the file but MC doesn't know about them.

So did 'Update Library (from tags)' work correctly after you did that?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Negasonic

• World Citizen

My understanding is that that is the correct way to get additional tags into MC, if they are in the file but MC doesn't know about them.

So did 'Update Library (from tags)' work correctly after you did that?

No, it did not work. That specific field was added before I even tested the 'Update Library (from tags)' function. (see post #1)

I believe in this case, with 'Update Library (from tags)', MC is skipping the cue file and going straight to the single mp3 file to find the tags to update into the library. That's what it's told to do. What it finds is only one file with a length of 39 minutes, some basic Artist and Album tags etc, no track numbers or track names, and then copies that and dumps it into the Track #1 Field (in the Library).

Negasonic

• World Citizen

So, how can I make this work?

During import MC recognizes when it is dealing with a CUE/single file album and acts accordingly by pulling info from both the CUE file and the single music file and inserts that info to several “virtual” files in the MC Library. After adding the "Catalognumber" custom Field in MC, it is also able to pull that particular info from the single music file, during first time import. So, MC knows the drill. In this case.

When using 'Update Library (from tags)' it basically needs to perform the same task? Right?

Main issue seems to be that the 'Update Library (from tags)' function never received the memo about the possible existence of "cue file albums"? And the consequence of that, is that it only goes to the single music file to start digging?

If my assumption is correct, is there any kind soul at the JRiver team that could poke and nudge it a bit to get it up to date?

mirdle

• World Citizen

Negasonic, I can confirm the same problems despite multiple attempts with variations on import options. I am using JRiver 26.  I believe it is a bug in JRiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up