INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving Cover Art - Causing MC to Hang  (Read 689 times)

swiv3d

Saving Cover Art - Causing MC to Hang
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:08 am »

I have just decided to save the cover art of a large number (18000) of files to the MC 24 cover art folder. No problems until you click off of MC to work on something else but on returning to MC you get the whirling icon, but all of the popup notifications are hidden behind MC. The program is still dutifully saving the cover art, but doing a long job should not really cause a program to freeze, and the popups should still be visible over the  MC  frozen main screen. Perhaps this kind of problem could be sorted in later builds? Strangely if MC is minimized and then you hover over its icon in the taskbar it shows the windows MediaCenter is not responding popup, but when MC is opened up the popup is hidden by the main MC window.

swiv3d

Re: Saving Cover Art - Causing MC to Hang
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 11:34:45 am »

So, after a very long time the saving process completes and MC unfreezes. There must be some way for the program to check back every so often so that a long job doesn't freeze the MC main window.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »

others have reported similar problems that were attributed to a slower (weaker) processor. have a look at your Jmark. Also maybe do intensive things in smaller batches....just a thought  :)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 03:35:14 pm »

Hi ~OM~, don't think a six processor 3.5 GHz cpu with 32gb RAM is the reason the process causes a screen freeze, but I do take your point about doing things in baby steps, nonetheless a long job should not be allowed to freeze the main MC display screen or cause z-layering to go haywire. I knew that storing image file data from 18000 files would take a long time and I'm Ok with that. It is the freezing of the main display that is problematic. I have learned to never make the MC display window full screen so that I can click other programs and work on them while MC does it's thing. It can build thumbnails and analyse audio in the background without causing freezes.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:15:24 pm »

I get it....Glad you found a work-a-round. You had not mentioned what your pc was about so I thought I would mention it.... :)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up