INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphone Zone  (Read 1883 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Headphone Zone
« on: May 19, 2018, 05:08:19 am »

Trying to achieve something here and not sure if this is a correct or valid approach.

I've got an AV receiver that I use as an MC24 connected DLNA renderer. I sometimes use the connected speakers and sometimes use headphones.

I want to make use of the "headphone" DSP setting so what I have done is:

Created another zone called "AVR Headphone" and configured the headphone option in the DSP settings for that zone.

I have then linked this zone to the existing AVR Zone.

So now I have the 2 zones and they both play the same content on the AVR and I can switch between them, but I'm not sure I hear any difference.

So either the headphone DSP setting is not having much of an effect (or maybe it takes a few listens on specific tracks before I pick up on it - I have only done a quick test as I want to validate what I have done) or this setup is not the way to achieve what I want.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Scobie.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Headphone Zone
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:43:08 am »

The headphone DSP has a few levels, the strongest level is a massive difference so try that to make sure it's all working. 

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:07:23 am »

To check it you could also test Adaptive Volume on/off in DSP Studio this should make a difference.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 04:40:19 pm »

As I understand it and I may well be wrong - the AVI Headphone zone you have set up is a local zone like the Player zone, hence you can apply DSP settings to it. When linked to the external AVI zone both zones have identical output. So if you switch between them you will be listening to the linked AVI Headphone zone output.

Could you explain how you previously played audio to your AVI, there is a possibility to do what you want in a different way according to the way you are setup.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 05:02:53 pm »

Thanks everyone I will try those suggestions.

Swiv re
the AVI Headphone zone you have set up is a local zone like the Player zone, hence you can apply DSP settings to it. When linked to the external AVI zone both zones have identical output. So if you switch between them you will be listening to the linked AVI Headphone zone output.""

I thought something like this might be happening but not sure, why would the headphone zone and not the original DLNA zone I linked with be the one that plays through both?

And further to that, yes you are correct as the headphone zone is local; so I think what I am trying to achieve is have 2 zones link to the 1 DLNA renderer and switch between them which I'm not sure is possible, hence not sure whether this i the correct approach.

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 05:26:37 pm »

How do you play music to your avi, just select some audio files and click playto send them to the player which then feeds them out to the avi? In which case there is a possible solution.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 05:27:32 pm »

And Ferday re
The headphone DSP has a few levels, the strongest level is a massive difference so try that to make sure it's all working.
; yes I saw there were a few levels and set it to the second highest for my test, so from what you say I should have been able to hear something.

Just need to fight my way through to the AV System to run some more tests!

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 05:30:20 pm »

How do you play music to your avi, just select some audio files and click playto send them to the player which then feeds them out to the avi? In which case there is a possible solution.

Mostly through JRemote, I've configured the renderer a zone and select it in JRemote and play the album.

On the odd occasion I play from the MC front end I right click on the album and do Send to -> select renderer.

swiv3d

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »

Is the computer with jriver connected directly to your avi, can you select send to play(player) and have it output to the avi?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 06:19:55 pm »

no not directly connected, I talk to it over the wi-fi home network .

swiv3d

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 06:33:22 pm »

If you are sending the audio over wifi to the avi then I don't see a solution. Perhaps one of the supergalactic members of the universe will be able to help. Sorry.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 06:36:15 pm »

no worries mate, thanks for giving it a crack.

swiv3d

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 07:03:42 pm »

Just noticed that in the jremote zones menu there is a link button. on the top right. You could have the avi headphones unlinked in MC allowing speaker play, then link the Avi heaphones zone and avi receiver zone when you want to use headphones. You can then unlink them to go back to speaker type output. I can't see much of a difference though.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 03:24:25 am »

Yes you can absolutely do that, but I think it would just result in the same functionality.

swiv3d

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 08:10:22 am »

No, in theory when unlinked you send to avi receiver and there is no dsp. when linked you send to headphones zone and this plays to the linked avi receiver zone with dsp features enabled. you can control the link/unlink from jremote.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 05:03:11 pm »

Yes ok, does this result in different behaviour than linking the zones and then playing to either of them as I have been doing?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 05:10:22 pm »

And sorry, yes of course I will try it, but need a quiet moment with unfettered access to the AVR.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 06:42:23 pm »

Guys please delete this thread, I have moved it to the Media Network forum where it probably should have been all along.

Scobie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up