INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loud bang when setting volume to zero [Solved]  (Read 964 times)

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
Loud bang when setting volume to zero [Solved]
« on: May 20, 2018, 04:02:23 pm »

I recently upgraded to MC24.0.25. Now when I turn the volume all the way down during play, I get a very loud bang, literally like a gunshot from my speakers. This is a serious problem, as it is severe enough to blow them dead.

I have tried the following; reset the NVRAM, reset the SMC, deleted and reinstalled MC24, and of course restarted my computer several times.

I'm running Mac OS 10.13.4 on a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 with 8GB RAM.

This problem only manifests itself on Internal Volume mode, and can be seen in the spectrum analyzer display as well as a spike, with or without any external playback devices attached. I don't know what else to try.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Loud bang when setting volume to zero.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:12:51 pm »

That may be a DAC problem.

Try using DSP Studio Output Settings to force 24 bit.

The wiki has a DAC topic.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:05:26 pm »

I recently upgraded to MC24.0.25. Now when I turn the volume all the way down during play, I get a very loud bang, literally like a gunshot from my speakers. This is a serious problem, as it is severe enough to blow them dead.

I have tried the following; reset the NVRAM, reset the SMC, deleted and reinstalled MC24, and of course restarted my computer several times.

I'm running Mac OS 10.13.4 on a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 with 8GB RAM.

This problem only manifests itself on Internal Volume mode, and can be seen in the spectrum analyzer display as well as a spike, with or without any external playback devices attached. I don't know what else to try.

Years ago I saw the exact same issue (even down to the spike in the spectrum analyzer) and it was because of a setting I had changed in DSP Studio; specifically I had set one of the DSP Studio blocks to "process independently of internal volume" (under the options in the top right of the DSP Studio dialog window).  As the explanatory text notes, that setting should never be enabled for anything but a visualization (or certain limiters).  That might not be your issue, but it's worth checking to make sure as a few other people have hit the same issue and it presents exactly as you describe.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79382.0

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04:02:42 pm »

I did have that same setting on that was causing you the volume spike (Process Independently...) at some point, so I turned it off and the issue is resolved. Thanks so much for the help. My speakers thank you too.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »

I did have that same setting on that was causing you the volume spike (Process Independently...) at some point, so I turned it off and the issue is resolved. Thanks so much for the help. My speakers thank you too.

Sweet, I'm always glad when I remember something like this from five years ago and it turns out to be the right answer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up