INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: UI accessible when playing full screen video on other display  (Read 791 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen

I have multiple displays connected to my Mac Pro, and I have MC 24 configured to display full screen video on a specific display (a TV connected via HDMI).

This works well, but unfortunately the main MC UI disappears while the video plays.

It would be awesome if MC could create multiple windows/access multiple displays, such that the main MC UI remains accessible and usable (eg for Library tagging.)

I'm pretty sure that this is how the Windows MC works - I'm sure I remember being able to both watch full screen video and use the UI the last time I had MC running on a multi-display Windows machine.

Thanks.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe

I don't know if it's available on macOS, but try right-clicking the video and see if there is an option to detach the display.

tjobbins

• World Citizen

I don't know if it's available on macOS, but try right-clicking the video and see if there is an option to detach the display.

Thanks for the fast reply. But no, there's no such option.  Just Close Display, and the usual options for Streams and Jump To and the like:

When a video goes full screen in MC on Mac (either by playing a video file, or opening Theatre View), the main MC UI disappears and a maximised video window appears on my chosen monitor. 

Going into Mission Control (a Mac feature which displays every open window on the system, across all monitors.  Maybe similar to Windows 10's new Task View) shows that there are two MC windows open, both on the display I've selected for video playback.  One is the window showing the video, and the other is a completely black window.   This black window is only shown when video is displayed full screen.  Maybe it represents MC's video playback engine. 

That's when I'm playing a video (Display View).  When in Theatre View, things are slightly different.  This time there are three windows on the monitor chosen for full screen display:  the Theare View UI (window title: Theatre View GL), the same black window as before (window title: Media Center 24), and also a grey window (window title: J River Media Center 24). 

But in both cases (Theatre View and Display View) the original UI window is always invisible and inaccessible - the monitor where it was before just shows the desktop, and it's not shown in Mission Control.  It automatically reappears as soon as I go out of Display or Theatre View.  I couldn't find any option that would change this and make them accessible simultaneously.
Pages: [1]   Go Up