INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Copies of Same Song  (Read 675 times)

WayneB

Multiple Copies of Same Song
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:13:36 pm »

I'm digitizing my vinyl collection (PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter / VinylStudio / Windows 10) and finding multiple copies (same performance) of a number of songs (original album, best of, anthology, etc).  I'd like complete recordings of each album, but hate having duplicate copies taking up space.  Is there a way to preserve the track listings of all the albums but point to a single copy of the duplicates?

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Multiple Copies of Same Song
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:51:47 pm »

They may be the same song, but I bet they're not the same quality.  May even be different versions.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:17:42 pm »

I digitized a lot of my albums and am really glad I did. And Vinyl Studio is definitely the way to do it.

Each track of each album has a filename/path tag associated with it. You can change that tag to a different filename/path to point to another version, but you probably have to do it manually.  You may run into the problem that some of the tags, like album name,  in the MC library may then be different from what is stored in the file. That should not be an issue in general but it is something to be aware of.  Just be sure you do not copy tags to file or file tags to library.

Alternatively, you could copy the "good" version into the directory of each of the other albums. Again, you have to deal with the different tags in the library compared to in the files.

Personally, I would keep all the versions as they exist on the vinyls, unless there is one version that you think is clearly superior. It is just easier.

Spike1000

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 02:34:40 am »

Personally, I would keep all the versions as they exist on the vinyls, unless there is one version that you think is clearly superior. It is just easier.

My thoughts exactly. Space is cheap, and always getting cheaper.

The effort needed to track and remove duplicates and then 'break' the track numbering/order/continuous play/auto track labelling from internet databases etc of an given album is silly. We all need bigger hard drives at some point so it's really not worth your time delaying what will be inevitable anyway.

Spike

WayneB

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 06:40:15 pm »

Thanks - I guess I will keep all the versions.  It's the old database admin in me that hates to see multiple instances of the same data!

WayneB

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 06:45:07 pm »

They may be the same song, but I bet they're not the same quality.  May even be different versions.

Same versions, of course different qualities - I was planning on choosing the best and using that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up