INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acquire Images Tool Improvements  (Read 594 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Acquire Images Tool Improvements
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:58:22 pm »

I'm looking to use MC to import Pics/Videos in order to keep them organised so I can ditch Adobe Organiser (which is a piece of junk) and the outdated Picasa (Adobe is unreliable and so is the outdated Picasa...) :

I'm not expecting MC to become a full fledged photo tool but if it could do the 2 tasks explained below no more need for anything else to import pics/videos!  And I already use MC for everything else media related :):

When acquiring Images/Videos:

- Even if "Skip file if already in library" is checked, MC can't remember which files were deleted from a previous import and will re-import them. 

ASK #1: It would be great if it could do a check on import for files "already deleted from the library". Since MC is smart enough to keep track of deleted files for TV recordings (~d=r) I figure it could do the same for imported pics/videos. 

- I created a custom field
Code: [Select]
left([Date (filename friendly)],4)-mid([Date (filename friendly)],4,2)-mid([Date (filename friendly)],6,2) allowing me to organise them like this using "RM&C Files"-> E:\Pictures\YYYY-MM-DD\IMG_xxxx.jpg. after import but this is a 2 step process...

ASK #2: Again similar to what is done for TV subscriptions it would be great if we could apply tags while acquiring images so this is done as a one step process.

Thx for considering!

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Acquire Images Tool Improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 11:58:05 am »

Unless I'm missing something I believe ASK #1 and #2 are existing capabilities.

"Ignore files previously removed from library" is a checkbox on the main import config screen.

and

"Apply these tags (option)" is in the folder settings section of import.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 12:02:54 pm »

Unless I'm missing something I believe ASK #1 and #2 are existing capabilities.

"Ignore files previously removed from library" is a checkbox on the main import config screen.

and

"Apply these tags (option)" is in the folder settings section of import.

If you test this you will see that both options that you are referring to do not work on Picture Imports through the "Acquire Images" Tool.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »

I did try to use my custom tag on import but it didn't work and my YYYY-MM-DD folders were not created.

I believe that if the IPTC and/or EXIF tags were read with the Camera Acquire Image Tool this could go a long way in giving more flexibility...

Just saw an interesting post related to this that I didn't see before posting mine here..

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115812.msg800292.html#msg800292

As an FYI...Once everything is imported from the camera/phone MC works fine for me...

I can use the Rename, Move & Copy Files option to do the folders cleanup.  One thing Picasa screwed up for me in the past is folder creation didn't always use the Picture Creation date which is why I created a Smartlist to help with the cleaning:

[Media Type]=[Image],[Video] ~differences=[Date /(Eric/)],[Pic Folder Name /(Eric/)]
Pic Folder Name (Eric) is another custom field I created to get the Picture folder name without E:\Pictures\
removecharacters(removeleft([Filename (path)], 12),/\)
Then I just do a visual inspect of the folder and run the RM&C.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 01:46:34 pm »

Ah... I see.  I've never used the "Acquire" function.... just import.  My process is pretty simple.  I really just use "date taken" and keywords to organize my photos in MC.  I do however do most of the tagging in Windows before import. (file properties.... tags).  MS file tags flow through as keywords in MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up