INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expression/Smartlist/MCUtils Help  (Read 803 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Expression/Smartlist/MCUtils Help
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:12:15 am »

I'm trying to take text from a field in MC [Work Parts] and use it to repopulate [Name] in [Track#] order.

For example, let's say [Work Parts] has the following list for Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 (just text: not semicolon delimited or anything of the sort as per Manage Library Fields; basically the text has been just copied and pasted into the field):

Allegro con brio
Andante con moto
Allegro
Allegro

Each item there would correspond, in order, to the four tracks of a recording of Beethoven's 5th. What I'd like to be able to do via an expression or pscriptor in MCUtils (or whatever) is get each of these items in the list into the appropriate [Name] field in [Track#] order and if possible including a movement number in front, e.g., 1. Allegro con brio for track 1, 2. Andante con moto for track 2, and so forth. Is this possible?

swiv3d

Re: Expression/Smartlist/MCUtils Help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:32:16 am »

if you paste into the name field in the display window
=[Track#] - [Work Parts]
Don't forget the = sign!
You should get for example: 1 - Allegro con brio  in the name field.
Try it on a single album file until you get the hang of it. Then you can select all the files you want to change and then paste the expression into the name field of the first selected file and it will change them all.

I am assuming here that each of the items you have listed are separate music files.
Hope this helps.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:53:53 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. It almost works, but there are two issues:

1. The [Track#] would only work if the tracks correspond to the movements, e.g., Bruckner's 4th Symphony is usually the only thing on a disc, and each of the 4 movements would correspond to each of the 4 tracks. But what if I have a disc that contains Beethoven's 5th AND 7th symphonies? Then you'd need 1. Allegro con brio and so forth for the 5th, but then you'd have start over the movement numbering for the 7th symphony: track 5 would be 1. Poco sostenuto - vivace, track 6 would 2. Allegretto, and so forth. This numbering part is not a deal breaker for me, though: I could live without them. The main thing I want to get right, to save me time copying and pasting, is below.

2. What I get when I just do the =[Work Parts] is a list of all the work parts for each track: "Allegro con brio; Andante con moto; Allegro; Allegro" for each one. Obviously that's not what I want. The track corresponding to the first movement ("Allegro con brio") should only be on one track, and the next should ONLY say "Andante con moto," and so on. That's why I was thinking I'd need either an expression to extract each item in the text list from [Work Parts] to maybe to go into a custom field that I then could use somehow in a Move/Copy fields or something with pscriptor in MCUtils (I do some operations on composers and works using CSVLookup already). That's what I'm not sure how to do. If I could figure out how to do this and also, in an ideal world, get the number of the movement in there too, well, that would be great. Seems like it's probably doable, but it's getting an MC-understandable list from a copy and pasted list of text that I'm not sure about.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 04:00:43 pm »

As I said I was assuming each file track had separate information. What is the text separator between the Work Parts and where is the name of the piece stored? Could you include a screen dump of a few files to see how they are laid out?

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:31 pm »

There is no separator between the work parts: as I said, it's just a text list in each track in [AMG Work Parts] (my actual name for it: it's generated by amg.pl in MCUtils or by copying and pasting if a given album isn't on AMG).

The name of the piece is [AMG Work Name], again retrieved with amg.pl.

Attached is a screen shot of the [AMG Work Parts] field expanded. You can see [AMG Work Name] above it.

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 02:55:07 pm »

Wouldn't library tools, lookup track info from online database get you the individual track info that you want?
Pages: [1]   Go Up