INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skinning Help Needed Please  (Read 2662 times)

ScottRey269

• Recent member
Skinning Help Needed Please
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:35:49 pm »

Hi Everyone!

Well, I've been working on trying to create my own skin/theme but have run in to a few walls.  Well, more than a few, but just worried about a couple at moment, lol.

First, I'm trying to add the date, Month & Day, to main menu in theater view, but can't figure it out.  I'm using the "Glass" skin as a base.  It has the time in bottom right corner, but I'd like to add the date in front of it.  I was using the MetroX skin and like that it has both.  Possibly raise the current location of the time up a bit as well, seems a bit too close to edge to me.

Second, haven't been able to figure out what the two images in the "Menu" folder do.  I changed them to red just so they would stand out and navigated all around theater view, but didn't see any sign of their use.  Could someone tell me where they are used please?

Attached a screen shot of what I've got for a main menu screen so far.  It's a dark skin, so I'm sure not for everyone.  But, any and all tips/suggestions welcome and appreciated!!!
HTPC Setup:  Silverstone LC20-B HTPC Case|Asus H87M-E Motherboard|Seasonic Power Supply|Intel Core I5-4570S 2.9 GHZ|(2)4GB Corsair XMS3 Memory|Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD (Internal- System)|Seagate Ironwolf 6TB (Internal- Documents)|Logitech K800 Wireless Keyboard|Razer Diamondback Chroma Gaming Mouse|Windows 10 64bit v.1903/ MC 25.0.113 (64-bit)|Vantec NST-640SU3-BK 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (2) 1TB Seagate Constellation ES  (MC Server Mains)|Qnap TR-004 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (1) 3TB Seagate Ironwolf (Music Backup) & (2) 8TB Seagate Ironwolf (Video Backup)|Pioneer BDR-209D BR Drive

Router:  Linxsys AC5400 Maxstream

Home Theatre:  Logitech Harmony One Remote|Yamaha RX-V473 Rcvr.|LG 55C9 4K OLED TV| (2) Polk TSx 550T (F)| (1) Polk CS10 (C)| (4) Polk TS200 (S)| (1) Polk PSW505 (Su

ScottRey269

• Recent member
Re: Skinning Help Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:28:42 pm »

Is no one willing to help?

Still doing what I can in meantime.  Here's what I have for the sub-menu's screens so far.   Still tweaking, but not looking too bad.
HTPC Setup:  Silverstone LC20-B HTPC Case|Asus H87M-E Motherboard|Seasonic Power Supply|Intel Core I5-4570S 2.9 GHZ|(2)4GB Corsair XMS3 Memory|Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD (Internal- System)|Seagate Ironwolf 6TB (Internal- Documents)|Logitech K800 Wireless Keyboard|Razer Diamondback Chroma Gaming Mouse|Windows 10 64bit v.1903/ MC 25.0.113 (64-bit)|Vantec NST-640SU3-BK 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (2) 1TB Seagate Constellation ES  (MC Server Mains)|Qnap TR-004 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (1) 3TB Seagate Ironwolf (Music Backup) & (2) 8TB Seagate Ironwolf (Video Backup)|Pioneer BDR-209D BR Drive

Home Theatre:  Logitech Harmony One Remote|Yamaha RX-V473 Rcvr.|LG 55C9 4K OLED TV| (2) Polk TSx 550T (F)| (1) Polk CS10 (C)| (4) Polk TS200 (S)| (1) Polk PSW505 (Su

Ahime

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:47 pm »

Hi Everyone!

First, I'm trying to add the date, Month & Day, to main menu in theater view, but can't figure it out.  I'm using the "Glass" skin as a base.  It has the time in bottom right corner, but I'd like to add the date in front of it.  I was using the MetroX skin and like that it has both.  Possibly raise the current location of the time up a bit as well, seems a bit too close to edge to me.

Second, haven't been able to figure out what the two images in the "Menu" folder do.  I changed them to red just so they would stand out and navigated all around theater view, but didn't see any sign of their use.  Could someone tell me where they are used please?

Hi
I am not very good at English, so I apologize in advance.

1st: Probably, add the [Date] front of [Time] in the file "Base 2.xml" where is the Skins\Theater View\Shared

<TEXT>
    <Item Text="[Date][Time]" Location="*" TextColor="FFFFFF" Rect="RootText\50,0,100,100" ...
    <Item Text="[Time]" Location="[Television Guide]" ...
    <Item Text="[Time]" Location="*\***" TextColor="FFFFFF"...
  </TEXT>

2nd: I'm ignoring it

I'm trying to create my own Standard&Theater skin too.
It doesn't have a nice appearance but it's interesting.

Standard
http://xahimex.seesaa.net/article/459417978.html

Theater
http://xahimex.seesaa.net/article/458869909.html

xahimex

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:48:00 am »

Hi
I am not very good at English, so I apologize in advance.

1st: Probably, add the [Date] front of [Time] in the file "Base 2.xml" where is the Skins\Theater View\Shared

<TEXT>
    <Item Text="[Date][Time]" Location="*" TextColor="FFFFFF" Rect="RootText\50,0,100,100" ...
    <Item Text="[Time]" Location="[Television Guide]" ...
    <Item Text="[Time]" Location="*\***" TextColor="FFFFFF"...
  </TEXT>

Yes, I copied that section from the base2.xml and pasted it into the skin main.xml.  Added "[Date]" in front of '[Time]" as you suggested and it worked.  THANKS!!!!   Managed to also move it a little to the left so not so close to right edge of screen, but couldn't get it to move any higher from bottom.  Nevertheless, that's progress.  lol   Thank you for your help!!

2nd: I'm ignoring it

Why??

I'm trying to create my own Standard&Theater skin too.
It doesn't have a nice appearance but it's interesting.

Standard
http://xahimex.seesaa.net/article/459417978.html

Theater
http://xahimex.seesaa.net/article/458869909.html

xahimex

Looks pretty good to me!  If need any help with images or backgrounds, maybe I could help if I can.  I know NOTHING about xml code, but I can tinker around in Photoshop pretty well. lol

Ahime

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 05:48:50 am »

Managed to also move it a little to the left so not so close to right edge of screen, but couldn't get it to move any higher from bottom.

Location="*\***"
Rect="Viewbackground\1.6,0,97.8,195"     (down...197,196,195(now),194,193...up)

Please give it a try.
I might be wrong, but I'm sure that it will work.

Why??

I tried changing them too (Images, xml...), but the result was the same.

Looks pretty good to me!  If need any help with images or backgrounds, maybe I could help if I can.  I know NOTHING about xml code, but I can tinker around in Photoshop pretty well. lol

Thank you. I'm glad I could help.

xahimex

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 01:05:23 pm »

Well, not sure if I did what you intended or not.  But, I managed to get date & time re-positioned.

I ended up changing the first line of what you had told me to do in your first reply with the following.

<Item Text="[Date]   [Time]" Location="*" TextColor="f0f0f0" Rect="Viewbackground\1,0,97.8,190" Capitalization="0" Alignment="1" Alpha="50" Size="[Large Text Height]" />

Here's a link to screenshot of result:
https://pre00.deviantart.net/55ce/th/pre/f/2018/161/f/a/screenshot3_by_roadwarrior00-dce0c7k.jpg

I REALLY wish someone could explain to me how location and positioning works.  For instance, what does the "*" mean for location in the above?  And, from what I have gathered reading guides and posts in forum, I thought everything was positioned using percentage.  Percentage of what, I have yet to figure out.  I'm guessing the viewing area must be divided in to sections somewhere.  Because that's the only way I can see the percentage values in these xmls working.  And even then, if based on percentage of WHATEVER, how could there be a percentage over 100 like in above, and it still be visible?  I just don't get it!!!!!

But, thanks AGAIN for your help with the time/date problem!

I tried changing them too (Images, xml...), but the result was the same.

xahimex

So, you couldn't figure out what they do either?  Well, glad it's not just me.  Thought I was just being blind or stupid.  lol   Wish someone would do a line by line breakdown on all the xmls involved in a skin listing what each part of it means and what it does.  Guess I'm dreaming though, or someone would have already done it by know.  :(

Ahime

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 06:26:41 pm »

I REALLY wish someone could explain to me how location and positioning works.  For instance, what does the "*" mean for location in the above?  And, from what I have gathered reading guides and posts in forum, I thought everything was positioned using percentage.  Percentage of what, I have yet to figure out.  I'm guessing the viewing area must be divided in to sections somewhere.  Because that's the only way I can see the percentage values in these xmls working.  And even then, if based on percentage of WHATEVER, how could there be a percentage over 100 like in above, and it still be visible?  I just don't get it!!!!!

I want to start by apologising.
I'm not very good at expressing my thinkings to you.

Topic: Theater Skins explained.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,34639.msg236272.html#msg236272

I had trouble while making skin, too.
http://xahimex.up.n.seesaa.net/xahimex/image/Theater20View20Broaken.jpg?d=a0

I wanted to fix [Time] and [Soft Name]. (Location = "*" is the top menu only?)
Recently I was not touching Theater View, so I accidentally pasted the text of
what I previously saved, I'm sorry but [Location="*"] [Rect = "0, 90, 97.8, 100] is okay.

So, you couldn't figure out what they do either?

I saw... anything did not change

xahimex

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:30:14 am »

Hey, sorry it took so long to reply!  Been busy with work and haven't had much free time to mess with this until today.

No need to apologize.  I'm just greatful for any help I can get!!  lol

The link to that skinning guide is great, thanks!!  They really should sticky that to the top of forum.  I searched and couldn't anything like that.  It still leaves me with a bunch of questions, but it helps.

I managed to do one thing I was wanting/hoping to do, add an image as a bar under main menu using the guide you linked to.  But, I can't get it to be set below the text.  Have attached a screenshot of what I mean.  Do you happen to know how I can set it to be added under the text?   Alternatively, I could use a separate background image for the main menu with the bar as part of the background and use another background image for all the other screens.  Is that possible as an option?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 09:00:49 am »

New question.  LOL

From what I have read, images sizes are adjusted by stretching based on the row/column settings in the xml.  Is there any way to have it done another way, preferably by copy/pasting the area designated via the row/columns settings?  I have several ideas for skins, but they wont work or look right if resized by stretching instead of pasting.

Ahime

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:39:05 pm »

I managed to do one thing I was wanting/hoping to do, add an image as a bar under main menu using the guide you linked to.  But, I can't get it to be set below the text.  Have attached a screenshot of what I mean.  Do you happen to know how I can set it to be added under the text?

I haven't looked your files. So, I can't say for sure, you might want to re-check an order of an images(bar & Background) in the main(or Base 2?).xml, when you have created it from the beginning.

From what I have read, images sizes are adjusted by stretching based on the row/column settings in the xml.  Is there any way to have it done another way, preferably by copy/pasting the area designated via the row/columns settings?  I have several ideas for skins, but they wont work or look right if resized by stretching instead of pasting.

I don't still fully comprehend the syntax rules of XML-MC.

xahimex

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 04:56:33 am »

I haven't looked your files. So, I can't say for sure, you might want to re-check an order of an images(bar & Background) in the main(or Base 2?).xml, when you have created it from the beginning.

Have tried all kinds of things to get bar below text, but no luck.  Not sure what you are saying when you suggest I "re-check an order of an images..."

Here is the section where I added it to the XML. I highlighted it in red.

<PICTURE>
    <Item Bitmap="Pictures\testbar.png"  Location="*" Rect="0.0,41.2,100,67" Alpha="100" />
    <Item Bitmap="Pictures\LocationBackground.png" Location="*\***" Rect="Titlebar\0.0,0.0,100,100" Alpha="100" Alignment="-1" Rows="?-Flex,8" />
  </PICTURE>

Ahime

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 09:46:54 pm »

Have tried all kinds of things to get bar below text, but no luck.  Not sure what you are saying when you suggest I "re-check an order of an images..."

Hi.

I think... there is a limit to what we can customize from this program.

Re-Check means, it's faster to redo the work from the beginning.
You are supposed to deal with this matter. Good luck.

xahimex

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 03:38:33 pm »

Quote from: Ahime
Re-Check means, it's faster to redo the work from the beginning.
You are supposed to deal with this matter. Good luck.

xahimex

Really?  It's a single line, lol!  And I don't see what I could change in it to place image behind the Menu text.
I noticed mention of the "Background" field in the skinning tutorial (example below).  But tutorial didn't say what it does or the available options for using it.

<Item Bitmap="..\shared\Pictures\[Location].png" Location="*" Rect="LocationPicture\25,25,75,75" Alpha="75" Alignment="1" Style="1" Background="1">

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »

New question.  LOL

I haven't really done any Theater View skinning, apart from applying some small mods to another's hard work.

I'm not sure if the matrix style of drawing works in Theater View skins, but it can't hurt to try, and is easy to understand.

You specify 'margins'. Four values that apply in order, separated by commas, to left, top, right, bottom.
This creates a grid or 'Regions', and you can specify how each region is drawn, ie, tiled or stretched, horizontally, or vertically.

Margins="4,2,2,2" DrawMode="REGION_E_HSTRETCH,REGION_E_VTILE"
would stretch region E horizontally, and tile it vertically.

You can acomplish more complex drawing matrices using the 'rows & columns' method, but I haven't played with them enough to figure them out beyond the basic tic-tac-toe matrix.
The references then become "Cells", starting in the top left, with A1, etc. You then specify the drawing per cell, such as: Cells="A1-HTILE,B1-HTILE,B2-TILE"

Small help, I know, and that's if it even works, but I wanted to throw it in there as I know you're not 'feeling the love' at the moment, and respect is due as you're still plugging away despite that. I hope you keep at it, and figure out the limitations before you decide you've spent enough time on it already.

As others have said, with best intentions, good luck with it. Unfortunately, the best resources available are probably to try and reverse engineer the skins that ship with MC to figure out what's doing what.

-marko

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 12:04:30 pm »

Thanks for the reply Marko.  Sorry it took me so long to respond.  Just messing with this on my time off work and wanted to TRY and get a handle on placement before I responded, but...   Yes, I had already read about that ability in standard view skinning and am eager to try messing with it in theater view once I start working on a new skin.  The ability to tile instead of just stretch will make a couple of my ideas hopefully a possibility.

My problem is I don't want and really can't dive in to making images and starting a new skin until I have at least figured out the whole placement thing so I can mess with it a bit and figure out what is doable and what isn't.  Despite going over and comparing all the different current skins and all the related xml's, I just can't see where this is accomplished in the apparently new format.

For instance.  In the skinning tutorial it speaks of the following section which supposedly defines the location for the menu and list buttons.  However, in the current skin, there is no such section.  And I don't see those or similar values represented anywhere else in the current main.xml or its base.xml.   It must be specified somewhere, just can't seem to figure out where.

<BUTTONS>
   <Position Rect="0.9,8.0,22.5,76" NoListRect="35,10,65,90" PlayingNowRect="0.9,8.0,22.5,50.0"  ButtonVerticalSpacing="8" Alignment="1" NoListAlignment="0" />
   <Image Bitmap="Buttons\Button.png" Columns="26,?-Flex,26" Rows="15,?-Flex,19" InternalMargins="10,6,10,12" />
   <Text TextColor="FFFFFF" SelectedTextColor="FFC32F" Capitalization="0" />
</BUTTONS>

Another example is the following section.  Which at least still exists in current xml,  but no longer has the 1st line which from what I gather is supposed to be what specifies placement.  So again, where are those values configured now?  They aren't in the base.xml from what I can tell.

Acajou main.xml according to "Theater Skins explained" guide:

<LIST>
   <Position Rect="23.4,8.0,99.5,99.5" PlayingNowRect="23.4,8.0,99.5,50.0" ItemsRect="0,0,100,100"
      ImageRect="1,1,99,99" ImageWithTextRect="1,1,99,82" TextRect="1,84,99,98" />
   <Text TextColor="FFFFFF" SelectedTextColor="FFC32F" Capitalization="0"/>
   <ThumbBackground Bitmap="List\ThumbBackground.png" Columns="10,?-Flex,10" Rows="10,?-Flex,10" InternalMargins="6,6,6,6" />
   <ListBackground Bitmap="List\ListBackground.png" Columns="10,?-Flex,10" Rows="10,?-Flex,10" InternalMargins="6,6,6,6" />
   <NoThumb Bitmap="List\NoThumb.png" />
   <BackThumb Bitmap="List\BackThumb.png" />
   <FolderThumb Bitmap="List\FolderThumb.png" />
   <Check Bitmap="List\Check.png" ThumbRect="2,59.3,34,81.6" ListRect="95.2,0,100,100" Rows="2,?-Flex,4" Colums="2,?-Flex,3" />
   <PlayOverlay Bitmap="List\PlayOverlay.png" ThumbRect="0,60,35,95" ListRect="94,0,100,100" />
</LIST>

Current Acajou skins main.xml:

<LIST>
    <Data />
    <Text TextColor="FFFFFF" SelectedTextColor="FFC32F" Capitalization="0"/>
    <ListBackground Bitmap="List\ListBackground.png" Columns="10,?-Flex,10" Rows="10,?-Flex,10" InternalMargins="6,6,6,6" />
    <BackThumb Bitmap="List\BackThumb.png" />
    <FolderThumb Bitmap="List\FolderThumb.png" />
    <Check Bitmap="List\Check.png" ThumbRect="2,59.3,34,81.6" ListRect="95.2,0,100,100" Rows="2,?-Flex,4" Colums="2,?-Flex,3" />
    <PlayOverlay Bitmap="List\PlayOverlay.png" ThumbRect="0,60,35,95" ListRect="94,0,100,100" />
  </LIST>

Sorry if you all think I should figure this out on my own, I have honestly tried.  It's really frustrating that something so basic and that should be so obvious and straightforward is causing me such a fit.  Just want to at least grasp the whole placement thing so I can get to the fun part of experimenting with moving things around and best of all, making images.  Won't someone PLEASE help me!!  Otherwise, I'm afraid I will just give up, as I want to be able to do more than just change images in a current skin.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 12:44:26 am »

I'm sorry. I feel your frustration, but know next to nothing about Theater View skinning.

I wonder if there might be more for you to learn from forum member, xplain... He knocked out a couple of really neat Theater skins a few years ago...
JR Metro &
Rapier Fusion

Once I had grasped enough of the Rapier Fusion xml to be able to fit it around my customised menu items I've used it ever since.
As these two surely use defined placement for the buttons, maybe there are some better clues in xplain's xml files?
I know that in Rapier at least, he included some notes in the xml that gave an idea as to what each block of code was referring to, which really helped me when I was adding icons and menu item references to match my own theater view setup...

-marko

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 05:10:05 am »

Thanks for replying again Marko!

Yes, JR Metro is my favorite skin and the one I have been using since I found it.  It is also the one the inspired me to get back in to skinning and trying my hand at skinning MC.  I'll give Rapier Fusion a look too, thanks!!

I started out trying to figure out the xmls by using JRMetro, but when I discovered that the coding seems to have changed, I'm torn as to how to proceed.  If I'm gonna take the time to try and learn all this again, I'd like it to be current.  If the coding has changed, I'd like to learn based on the new config files if that makes since.

Heck I STILL haven't even been able to successfully add an image behind the main menu buttons as I posted about in an earlier reply.  It covers the buttons instead of being layered below them.  No, I still haven't managed to even accomplish that.

I'm starting to really miss the way skinning was back when I used to do it.  At least how it was in what I skinned.  Placement was simply placed based on pixels and you just defined the topright and bottomleft corners.  Layer heirachy was simply based on order in the XML.  I do see the advantage of using percentages now instead of pixels.  It allows a skin to conform to any resolution.  Before, I  had to make skin for each resolution desired.

Anyway, thanks again Marko for your feedback.  I'll keep trying to figure this all out.  Just REALLY wish there was a current, detailed guide.  Or at least more people willing to help that are familiar with skinning theater view.  I know it seems most people are focused on skinning standard view, which I honestly don't quite get why. lol

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 05:25:54 am »

Just checked out the Rapier Fusion skin.  I like it.  It looks a lot like an XBMC skin, which I see he said he modeled it after.  I must say, I have been very tempted many times to go back to using XBMC instead of JRiver.  It is just SO MUCH more visually pleasing than JRiver.  Every time MC reports a new release coming I keep hoping they have upgraded the interface and made it more customizable, but am unfortunately always let down.  Guess it's just me but most of the so-called improvements over last few releases, with the exception of TV, are of little value.  But, my main purpose for using the software is to just have a nice looking way to browse and play my media and feed it to my audio/video components.

Pages: [1]   Go Up