INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A playback device question for the newbie thread - if there is one  (Read 681 times)

ccrick

I'm a new (potential) user - and I can't get something (probably simple) to work.
I have a good amplifier & speakers attached to the motherboard Realtek driver - and have a Samsung HDMI monitor that includes audio.  I usually use Samsung for browsing (youtube, etc) but want to use the "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)" choice (as Windows 10 calls it) for output.  This doesn't show up on the JRiver menu - further, any choice I make in JRiver plays through whichever channel the Windows Sound setting has chosen, just as though I had selected 'default' as the playback device in JRiver.
It would be helpful if JRiver used the "Speaker (Realtek)" channel (which doesn't appear in the JRiver playback options) and let default windows sounds use whatever the Windows Sound choice was - and this is what it appears to me was intended by JRiver.
Where am I going wrong?  (JRiver 24.0.30; Windows 10.0.17134)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A playback device question for the newbie thread - if there is one
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:30:29 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  The wiki has a topic on Audio Setup:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Anything that Windows sees for audio output should also be available to JRiver.

ccrick

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 04:30:43 pm »

Thank you.  However, my question is not addressed there or in any of the links there that I looked.

If JRiver always uses the default sound device, as it appears to, should I simply choose that device in JRiver and ignore all the other options?  There appears no way to deselect all devices in Windows so JRiver behaves on my system that default is the only real option.

I'll try to attach the windows sound choices showing 'Speaker (Realtek)'  I can't capture the JRiver devices as your device window goes away as soon as I shift focus to the screencap tool - but the choices are: Default Audio Device, Realtek Digital Output, Realtek Digital Output (Optical), Realtek High Definition Audio,  the 2 Samsung HDMI channels, and Speaker (DVR).  So JRiver shows all the Windows devices EXCEPT the one that my external amp and studio monitors are attached to.  (However if I select the Speaker (Realtek) for Windows and Default for JRiver, JRiver does play through the speakers. 

As I stated before, I can survive this way but do not know what was intended by JRiver by this menu - it does not behave as I expected and your cited thread does not explain the purpose unless my copy is NOT working as intended.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:01:12 pm »

If you go to tools>options>audio then click on the selected audio device you will get a window like the one in my attachment, you can then press Prt Scr on your key board to grab an image like mine. Transfer to paint or whatever program you prefer and modify it and then upload it so we can see what your options in JRiver are. ( You probably know the last bit but I have put it in for comleteness).

ccrick

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:54:44 am »

Here are the 2 files, and thank you for the help.

It seemed likely that JRiver 'Realtek High Definition Audio' might be the same as Windows' 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) and indeed that did work.

And that answered my original question - if I choose that option for JRiver and the Samsung port for Windows sounds, then I have 2 sound outputs - as I desired.

So thank you for making me peck away at this until I found the combination. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up