INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop/Click snd playing CDs  (Read 1145 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Pop/Click snd playing CDs
« on: June 08, 2003, 11:53:15 am »

This problem occurs with all players including MC9, I'm hoping somebody out there can point me toward a possible solution.

When I play an audio CD in either of my CDRs I get a continuous popping or ticking sound on top of the music. There are no problems with ripping or burning (WAV or mp3). There are also no problems playing from my hard drives. Is this possibly a configuration situation? Or is my computer missing some kind of adapter orcodec or something else?

I was running Win Me, but have now installed Win 2000pro. My sound card is the external/USB Creative Extigy. Could the problem be related to the Extigy? USB is 2.0.
I'd appreciate any advice/ ideas on this.

Listening to: Alan Parsons - I robot.

Media Center Registered 9.0.180 -- F:\J River-MC9\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1202 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 398 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: LITE-ON  LTR-32123S         Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Drive E: TDK      CDRW4800B          Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pop/Click snd playing CDs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 02:50:59 pm »

Try setting wave level up by double clicking on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of the desktop.

In MC, try switching playback between direct sound and wave out.  It's in tools/options/playback.

Disable anything else that is monitoring the CD drive.  Some CD burning programs do this.

Try a search on google to see if other people with the same card have similar problems.

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 03:04:46 pm »

Thanks, I'll post the results that I find for anyone else having a similar problem.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 07:21:26 am »

Check the hookup of the CD drives. If they're on the same IDE cable, one must be set to master and the other to slave (via jumpers on the back of the drives).

Check in device manager to see if they are configured to use DMA or PIO for data transfer. If it's set to PIO, try DMA and vice-versa. I can't remember how this is checked on Win2K, but on XP you go into device manager and select "Secondary IDE channel" under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and right click and choose properties. Then go to advanced settings. Don't alter the DMA/PIO setting for your hard drive.

While you're in device manager, look for signs of hardware conflicts or other problems  (any little yellow questions marks?).
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up