INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Specify alternative hard disk for time-shifting clarification  (Read 1347 times)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

NEW: One can specify a folder on an alternative hard disk for TV recording and time-shifting (must be on a different hard drive). Useful for people who record a large number of shows simultaneously.

Is this working as described? I've specified a different disk/folder location for time-shifting and so far I've got ten full episodes/shows in that folder that are NOT time-shifts... they are regular recordings. Most regular recordings are still going to the original location, I can't find any rhyme or reason these ten shows were sent to the time-shift disk/folder??? AND actual time shifts are still going to the regular tv recording folder!!!
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Specify alternative hard disk for time-shifting -NOT working
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:33:26 pm »

Just for confirmation, you are recording in TS format, aren't you?

I ask because I'm not sure how this would work when recording in JTV format, because the Time Shift files are the recording, essentially.

But I suspect that the new folder would only be used for TS recordings that start while a channel is in Time Shift mode, since once a Time Shift session has started the location of the Time Shift files couldn't be moved.

Ah, actually, I just re-read the item. I think it is working correctly, because the new functionality says "alternative hard disk for TV recording and time-shifting", so the new location holds both types of files. MC is just load sharing between the two. It doesn't sound like the intention was to put recordings in one location and the Time Shifting files in another location, but to put both file types into both locations. Which answers my queries above.

Perhaps Yaobing can explain the rules, but I imagine it is something like, if one recording is already being saved to drive A, then the second recording is placed in drive B. Or it could be based on free space. But more likely which drive is in use, and which is not being used for TV recordings at the start of a new recording.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 12:01:59 am »

Right, the purpose is not to separate recordings from time-shifting (the latter simply means watching a show live without recording).  For the purpose of this feature, recording and time-shifting are treated as the same.  The locations are for load sharing during recording/time-shifting.  If you have two recording/time-shifting sessions going on at the same time, one goes to location one, the other goes to location two.  If you have three at the same time, two in location one, one in location two.  etc. etc.

This also has nothing to do with [Filename (path)] tag applied after recording is finished.  When a recording finishes, it can be moved to anywhere without restriction.

This feature is beneficial to people who make a large number of recordings.  Too many recordings on the same hard disk put too much load on the disk.

It is also possible that you find two recordings going on on the same drive but none on the other drive.  But that should be rare.  For example, three are started 2 + 1, but the one on the second drive finishes early, you end up with two going on on drive one.  If you find three or four recordings happening on one drive but none on the other drive, then maybe it is not working right.

Other situations in which all recordings are done on only drive one:  1. Recordings do not over lap in time.  When a recording starts, MC finds no other recording going on, then the new  recording always goes to location one.  2. Consecutive recordings on the same channel always stay on the same drive.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 08:06:22 am »

Hmm, ok. I guess this feature might not be for me. I have done up to 8 or 9 recordings at once to the same disk, (I think) without "load issues". I thought this was for live tv sessions only, so that I could specify only the time shifting be sent to something like a smaller SSD disk... I'll have to think about this one.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:36:25 am »

Right, the purpose is not to separate recordings from time-shifting (the latter simply means watching a show live without recording)....

HELP!

I'm still getting recordings going to the alternate disk and I cannot get the feature to turn OFF. I uncheck the box then click Ok. But when I go back and look at the setting, the box is checked again! Even tried unchecking the box, click Ok, close MC, wait, open MC, but going back in the box is checked again.

If there isn't any fix for this (until a future MC release), how can I automatically move these recordings back to the primary disk once the recording is finished?? Right now, I'm just going in and doing it with Library tools>move/rename....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Specify alternative hard disk for time-shifting clarification
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:41:38 am »

Are you setting the option on the server?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 07:43:02 am »

Are you setting the option on the server?
Of course

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:21:47 pm »

Reverted back to version 24.0.30
No brainer given this issue and the high cpu when sitting idle in theater view bug (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116377.0.html).

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 05:37:41 pm »

I can reproduce the behavior.

While I fix this bug, you can delete the following registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 24\TV Settings\Shared\Recording - 2nd Base path

If there isn't any fix for this (until a future MC release), how can I automatically move these recordings back to the primary disk once the recording is finished?? Right now, I'm just going in and doing it with Library tools>move/rename....

The registry key hack would be the quick fix for you if you still want to use the latest build.

You may not need this considering you have reverted to an earlier build, but to automatically move a recording to a certain location, set "Apply these tags" in your recording rule.  The tag to specify is [filename (path)].  You can specify the path in a way similar to what you do in "Rename, Move, & Copy files".  You can do it in one shot by editing "Recording default - tags to apply when recording is done" in TV Options > Recording, or you can edit each individual recording rule.  If you decide to use the one-shot method, make sure you check the checkbox "If a recording rule does not include post-process tagging or command, apply respective defaults".

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up