INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC23 won't rename/move files  (Read 1304 times)

squeedle

• World Citizen
MC23 won't rename/move files
« on: June 17, 2018, 01:47:25 pm »

Ever since updating from v22 to v23, the "move/copy/rename files" feature no longer works. It doesn't seem to be a permissions issue, since MC is correctly updating tags. But it won't rename or move files. How can I start to troubleshoot this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC23 won't rename/move files
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »

It would be surprising if there's a problem in that area.  You could start by reading the wiki topic to make sure you're using it correctly.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:51:03 pm »

I've had MC for many years and it always worked fine up to MC23. But I'll read the wiki...?

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 02:45:52 pm »

Update: Wiki was no help. Troubleshooting steps?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 04:23:32 pm »

The wiki tells you how it works.  If you read it carefully, you should be able to work it out.  It's possible you have a typo.

Compare your settings between MC24 and MC23.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 04:28:20 pm »

When is it failing?

Could you post a screenshot of the rm&c tool?

To be sure, I've attached an example of what I'm asking for to this post.

If your complete rules are not shown, as they are (not shown) in the example, please also enter the complete rules used into your next post.
This will give us some clue as to what may or may not be wrong...

-marko

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 05:03:16 pm »

Sure, here's an example.

I want to rename a file in JRiver. In this example I just added the word " [renamed]" to the end of the title. So I edit the title, and then right-click the file, and select "rename, move copy...". And as you can see, no fancy rules, I just want the program to rename the filename, not move it or anything else. I click okay, and there are no errors or messages. JRiver thinks it has completed the task. But the file itself has not been renamed.

If I then rename the file back to its original name and right-click to RMC it back to what it was, JRiver shows me an error message saying that the renamed file that it thinks exists now doesn't exist.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 10:22:33 pm »

Smashing. Thank you. I think I see your problem now...

See, in your first screenshot, directly above the left hand end of the 'before/after' tooltip, there's a drop-down menu there.

Yours is set to "Update database to point to a new location (No file rename, move or copy)"

Change that to "Rename (Moves file if directory changes)"

To relink the track that you tested with above:
Either browse to said track externally from MC and manually append the " [renamed] to the file name...

or

Remove the "[ renamed]" part from the title in MC, then run the rename tool again, exactly as you have it set up in your first screenshot, and that will correct the database error shown in your second screenshot.

Let us know if you need any more help.
Near the beginning of the wiki article, just after the "Caution" notes, "Modes" are explained. This could have helped you...
The Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool can be used in one of four primary modes:

Rename (moves files if directory changes)
    Renames and moves files, including from one disk to another.
Copy
    Creates new independent copies of the selected files. This mode does not alter the Library or the source files on disk.
Copy and update database to point to new location
    Creates new independent copies of the selected files, and replaces the Library entries for the existing source files with the new files. This is identical to Rename mode, except that it leaves the original copies behind untouched.
Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)
    Only changes the [Filename] path for the selected files in the Media Center Library. This mode does not move or copy any files on disk.

-marko

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 10:52:39 pm »

Woo hoo, thanks! I never changed that value but apparently it got changed during the upgrade from v22 to v23. So I was just focusing on the values I knew I had changed and looking at the before/after file paths/filenames. Thanks for pointing out my oversight! :)

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 03:16:31 am »

Woo hoo, thanks! I never changed that value but apparently it got changed during the upgrade from v22 to v23. So I was just focusing on the values I knew I had changed and looking at the before/after file paths/filenames. Thanks for pointing out my oversight! :)
yes, marko is one of a few guru's here on Interact. I sure hope he gets to cash in on his shares of MC.... ;)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:56 pm »

You're welcome squeedle.

Kind words, thank you Patrick.

I feel fortunate that I started using MC at the outset, with v9, so have retained a lot as it developed into the powerhouse it is today, learning with it as it matured. It's been a fun, fifteen year ride so far :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up