INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi losing license  (Read 1867 times)

rwortman

• Recent member
IdPi losing license
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:59 pm »

Had this for a few years.  I know that the Rpi doesn't like being powered down.  OTOH we had several outages at my last house and it always recovered fine. 

Moved to a place with lots of T-storms and brief power blinks.   IdPi is now crashing every 24 hours or so and when I reboot it there is no license or library.  I am entering the license from the main menu.   

I took an image of the SD card when I first got the box.  I got a new SD card and put that image on it and bought a UPS to plug the IdPi wall wart into.   I am having the same problems. 

I am beginning to think it's related to some update. 

I am also having a network problem that is probably not JRiver related but odd.  I changed a lot of hardware when I moved to the new house so its hard to guess what's causing it.   The renderers randomly appear and disappear from the available list both on the IdPi and my windows box MC install.   They also do so in the windows network screen.  The actual devices are staying on the network and can see the servers.  I.E If I use MC on either box to push songs to my new Yamaha receiver, it will play a few songs and quit when the renderer disappears.  If I use the Yamaha GUI to play songs from the media server, it will play all night.   If I use JRemote to push songs from the IdPi to a renderer, it will crap out after a few songs. 

If I used the IdPi as a player and play songs from the NAS, the device connected to its' USB port will play, if not all night, until MC crashes on the thing again.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: IDPI losing license
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:24:12 am »

What are the version / build details that you've got?

Are you running a "versionless" Id? If so, it should read as MC24. If you're on MC22, then you're running old school.

With the latest "versionless" Id, it appears (from my own experience) that the SD card registers itself with the wired LAN connection using the MAC address. If the card is then transferred to a different Pi, it loses its registration. Could that be relevant?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 08:38:01 am »

Its MC22.  No instance of moving a card from one IDPI to another.  I only have the one.   Cloning a card from the original image file shouldn't be a problem AND the problem existed prior to that.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:32:31 am »

Looking at networking issues I had many issues that presented the same symptoms as you have.

Initially I was trying to use the Pi wirelessly and had little success.

Experiment 1 was using  Ethernet  extenders, it sort of worked but I was getting really poor data rates due to the units being on a different ring main.

Experiment 2 was using a Netger Orbi system but with the pi plugged into the Orbi receiver In Router Mode this was sort of ok , but in bridge mode a disaster. Devices kept vanishing then re appearing. They were returned to Amazon and replaced with a Linksys Veloop system.

Massive improvement in coverage over the Orbi more stable etc.

In the end I spent a weekend hardwiring 2 of the veloops back to the room where the broadband router is along with the main veloop. Problems all went away...

rwortman

• Recent member
Re: IdPi losing license
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:17 am »

Both my Win PC and the IDPI are hard hardwired.  The ID is connected directly to the router, the PC is connected through an 8 port switch.  Both boxes are seeing my AVR and HDBluray player pop up and drop off.  On the PC the ID also comes and goes.  I am starting to think is it router related.  I turned off the PC and the ID still exhibits the behavior and when I turned off the ID the PC still does it.  I am just looking to see if network wizards here can give troubleshooting tips.   The problems with the ID crashing are ID specific.  If putting the updated OS on it will help, I will do it.  If so, I also need to know if I can pull an image from it and restore if necessary.

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:45:57 pm »

Hmm, my IDPI seems busted in some strange way.  I thought the OEM guru's might be giving me some advice.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:07:55 pm »

The ID is connected directly to the router, the PC is connected through an 8 port switch.  Both boxes are seeing my AVR and HDBluray player pop up and drop off. 
You can be sure that this is a problem with the network.  It's not a problem with the Id.

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:27 am »

OK, and what about the ID crashing and losing it's license on the reboot about daily?  If it's crashing because it's renderer list keeps changing that sound like a bug.  Seems unlikely but I didn't write the code.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:12:09 am »

There have been two recent changes in licensing on Linux that caused the license to be lost, so it needed to be re-entered.  We think it's solved now.

I agree that it shouldn't crash.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:12:46 am »

It's an Id (rhymes with kid), not an ID.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:47:07 am »

I suggest you upgrade to the "versionless" currently MC24 Id.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »

My IdPi is suddenly unlicensed as well.  When I re-enter the license key it fails saying "We could not find that license".  I just upgraded to 24.0.7 (from 24.0.6) and have the same problem.  I am sure I am entering the license key properly and it was licensed before?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 05:33:09 pm »

Letter O and 0 look alike.
So do letter l and 1.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 06:15:27 pm »

Sorry, yes there was an O between two numbers. I will have to make a note of that for next time.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP
Pages: [1]   Go Up