INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem w/ renaming music files then MC24 reverting them back when importing  (Read 551 times)

Theleb_Kaarna

• Recent member

Greetings Community! Please help if you can=)

1. I purchase m4a music files online (unfortunately their not available as flac, but anyways...).
2. Their track names are horribly written, so I rename each track name with proper spelling, spacing, capitalization, etc.
3. I import them (Tools > Import... > Import a single folder. For "Import these file types:", I select everything. I also select "Analyze audio on new files" and "Ignore special files".
4. When the files complete their import into MC24, all their names have reverted back to their original aforementioned "horribly written" state.

My two questions:

1. What's happening here, and what setting(s) can I change to correct this issue (if there is one)?
2. Looking at my current import configuration (#3 above), are there any options I should deselect? I'm unsure what many of the options do, but didn't want to miss-out on anything by something not being imported (metadata, etc).

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Phanteks Enthoo Elite | ASUS Maximus IX Formula ROG | i7 7700K [Delidded] @5.1GHz | Cryorig R1 Universal
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB @3600MHz | MSI 1080ti Lightning Z | Plextor M8Pe(Y) 512GB | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB (x2) | Western Digital "Black" 4TB | Corsair AX1200i [1200 Watt] | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies | Sennheiser HD 650 | iFi Micro iUSB 3.0 | DH Labs Silver Sonic | C3 Audio Audiophile

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I think you are confusing the file name with the [Name] tag inside MC.

When you say you renamed each track, how did you do that? By editing the file name in Windows Explorer, by editing the file Properties using Windows Explorer, or by using some other software to change the [Name] or "Title" tag of the file?

When you import audio files, MC will try to work out what it is from the embedded tags, or failing that from the file name itself. If the [Name] tag was mangled in MC after the import, then that tag was already in the file, and it was already mangled, probably based on the file name.

Do some reading of the JRiver Wiki to learn about tags, library fields, importing, CARNAC, and anything else that doesn't sound familiar to you.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

prevaljo

• Recent member

Following on from the above comment a good application for managing metadata around audio files (MP3 etc) is MP3Tag.

Theleb_Kaarna

• Recent member

Appreciate very much the responses guys, you put me on the right track. RoderickGI, I use dBpoweramp to rip my CDs and am use to it controlling the metadata. Don't have a lot of experience with downloaded songs purchased online (so far). Just assumed renaming the song titles in Windows Explorer would change the metadata and carry over into MC. @prevaljo, your suggestion to try MP3Tag made me remember that along with purchasing dBpoweramp two years ago, I had purchased PerfectTUNES ID Tags for manipulating metadata! *smacks forehead* Just hadn't had a need for it (until now) and forgot I had it *smacks forehead again*

Thanks again guys=)
Phanteks Enthoo Elite | ASUS Maximus IX Formula ROG | i7 7700K [Delidded] @5.1GHz | Cryorig R1 Universal
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB @3600MHz | MSI 1080ti Lightning Z | Plextor M8Pe(Y) 512GB | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB (x2) | Western Digital "Black" 4TB | Corsair AX1200i [1200 Watt] | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies | Sennheiser HD 650 | iFi Micro iUSB 3.0 | DH Labs Silver Sonic | C3 Audio Audiophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up